DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

ATTN: 2009 IRONMANS and others- Bike Ride Sundays
CREATED: 06/19/09 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 88
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 6/19/09 7:57 AM

Hello Everyone,

Eagleman is over and after this weekend things should calm down a bit within club. With that in mind, I'm organizing a weekly bike ride on Sundays. It will be every Sundays starting 6/28 until the end of October. We will initially meet in GTown (M and Wisconsin next to the bank) and roll out at 7:00 AM. I plan on riding there by bike via Silver Spring. You can ride to the meeting spot or drive to the meeting spot. I think that parking in GTown is free on Sundays ... but I could be wrong.

The folks that I've talked to so far seemed to think that a 16-18 mph pace ride is a good pace. Well, actually "the people that I've talked to so far" is just me talking to myself. "We" also agreed that the ride each week will be a minimum 60 mile ride. We envisioned that the weekly ride range will be 60-100 miles. Those who wished to go further can go further. Those who wished to go short can go shorter. Those who wished to go faster can go faster. Those who wished to go slower can go slower. We are not communists. We can do whatever pleases us. The point is that this will provide structure and something to do on Sundays other than throwing rocks at the neighbor's dogs. For the record, I don't throw rocks at the neighbor's dogs ... they throw rocks at me.

Keep in mind that 16-18 mph average means that we will be going a little bit faster than that on the flats but a lot slower on the hills. Some of us do not want to endanger our ability to reproduce someday.

Quite a few of us are doing Ironmans or half IMs in the fall so this is a good opportunity to put structure back into our lives. I talked to Becky, the Suzuki, John, and Mira last night at the happy hour and they seemed to be quite responsive to the idea and will be joining us on none/some/most/all of the rides. I know that there are a bunch of IMFL, IM Coz, IMAZ, and CheesyMan folks out there. Come out and ride so that we can motivate and inspire each other during the hot summer months. I know that there are also tons of half IMs folks out there. For the sake of disclosure, I'm doing IMFL.

This ride is for EVERYONE not just folks who are thinking about IMs or half IMs. If you just need to hang around with folks for a few miles then come out and ride. I know that there are a few NTPers out there who are pretty solid on the bike ... so come out and ride. We are not roadies. We won't mock you because your bike shorts do not match your bike jerseys. We WILL mock you if you come out in a speedsuit and aero helmet.

My vision of this is once a month (Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct), we will do a century ride together. The century rides will be something we do on our own or with an organized event like the Reston Century or Indian Head Century. If you are IM training, that's 4-100 mile rides. That's a pretty good base for the real deal.

To further entice those who are on the fence on this, I will also be giving out vertical swimming techniques advice for free. No coach or master swim clubs in America offer this. It is truely a unique once in a lifetime thing that you just don't want to pass up.

I want to get a distro list going. If you are interested, please post here or email me at number55555@yahoo.com. I'll send out weekly updates just in case you are one of the folks who don't check the forum on a regular basis. Please help a brother out and not make this a Tuan-only ride. I don't want to be a cat lady when I grow old.

Tuan,
Bringing Vertical Swimming to the next level.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: ATTN: 2009 IRONMANS and others- Bike Ride Sundays
POSTED: 6/19/09 8:44 AM

Tuan,

I am in. I will be leaving from 8th and Penn and I will rool through around 7 at the meeting place. Let's get those miles, we gotta look goo when we get to FL. I will also have another guy most likely heading with me. He is doing IMFL also. You can email me at

trithis73(at)me.com

Z

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 6/19/09 8:47 AM

I probably won't be out there weekly, but could certainly see myself joining in every so often. Guess it is time to start thinking about training for IMFL, huh?

Ryan

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/19/09 9:00 AM

Sounds fun...Especially the swimming lessons. Could use those. Really could use long Sunday rides.
mtrejtnar at hotmail dot com.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 6/19/09 9:15 AM

I'd like to give this a try, please add me to the distro list.

itri_45    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/19/09 9:51 AM

If you're heading out west in MD then I'm in. I live off MacArthur in Glen Echo so it's my training ground.

Duc

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 6/19/09 10:09 AM

as you pointed out I am interested in none/some/all of the rides! LoL. seriously add me to the list.

even though EM is now a memory (sniffle) and my only races left are short, I'd love to keep the mileage up when it doesn't interfere with my marathon training!

hopefully the freak will join us, too!

-becky

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 6/19/09 10:46 AM

Sweet! I'm doing IM Cozumel in November, so this would be a perfect way to get out and do some of my longer rides.

Thanks for putting this together.

Tania
tgrollman@yahoo.com

stevo's ravatar stevo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 6/19/09 11:38 AM

Tuan,

Sounds like a great idea. Where in Silver Spring are you leaving from? I live in Kensington and could ride down with you to get the extra miles.

Can you add me to the distibution list on this?

Peter
pstephens01@gmail.com

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 6/19/09 11:48 AM

i'm in for none/some/all

pls add me
jeanne.notborntorun@gmail

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 6/19/09 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone ... keep it coming. Besides from all the folks that have posted here, I've also got a few more who have sent me offline email messages. One the books we have more than a dozen people so far. If you've listed your email on this forum or have sent it to me offline then consider yourselves on the distro list.

Steve ... I will be leaving from downtown Silver Spring via Beach Drive. There are two others in our group who will be doing the same. I'll send out specifics as to time and location where the Silver Spring crew will be departing. It'll be neat if you can join us since there is safety in numbers with the 4 of us :)

I'm also going to find some cue sheets for distributions. If anyone has any ... please send them my way.

Tuan

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 6/19/09 12:16 PM

Great idea. Also in for none/some/all. Txs

mdezee    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/19/09 1:17 PM

I'm in as an every other weeker

matthew.dezee@unitedbiosource.com

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/19/09 1:49 PM

Thanks for organizing
I will show for may of them
Doing IM Arizona

add me
ericguzalv@yahoo.com or ericguzalv@gmail.com

Thanks Eric

tri em's ravatar tri em    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
Re:Sunday centuries
POSTED: 6/19/09 3:08 PM

This is excellent - I have been needing a Sunday long ride group. Doing IMC.

Of course, as it happens, this weekend I have to do my long ride on Sat (so I can cheer for all the ITU peeps on Sunday!) but I look forward to joining this group in the near future.

Thanks for arranging, Tuan!

My email: emily.arm@gmail.com

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 6/19/09 4:21 PM

T-man! Sorry I missed you at happy hour last night. I attempted (and failed miserably) an interval workout on my evil bike trainer. I really should have gone out drinking instead!

I like this long ride idea of yours. With the Inaugural Savageman Duathlon in front of me - yes, though you won't see it on the program, yours truly will be attempting the half iron course with an opening run to make it a true duathlon (knowing my inability to swim (even vertically), I've brought in a ringer to nail down that pesky 1.2 mile bit in the water...)

With the always challenging Zofingen Du ahead of me in October (the US, not Swiss version), I would love to join you for a few long ones on Sundays. I'll send you my email offline, please add me to your list. This week is out, but count me in for future rides.

We have a good Saturday ride group going out if you want to come out tomorrow.

-LB

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 6/19/09 4:47 PM

Are HIPsters allowed? Maybe sometimes we could coordinate?

Nice work on setting this up :::'D::
Amanda

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
RE:
POSTED: 6/19/09 5:22 PM

Freak! You convinced them to let you Du Savageman? Go you! I'm debating the merits of the half (never attempted) vs the Olympic (attempted and conquered, though not without losing some years off my legs).

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 6/19/09 5:28 PM

Suzuki! I posted info re: the REI bike class...but it's fallen off the forum front page... feel free to email me if you're interested. great to see you last night! rah2774@hotmail.com

-more fingers than spokes

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 6/19/09 5:41 PM

Hey Becky - Can't go, on vacation in GREECE! Woo hoo! Leaving work now to go home and sob about how far behind I am in packing... PS My contact into is my forum name + gmail.com.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria