Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Wetsuit, wear it or not to wear it?
CREATED: 09/09/10 by gabroe REPLIES: 12
gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 69
Wetsuit, wear it or not to wear it?
POSTED: 9/09/10 6:04 PM

For the Nation's, I got the email saying that apparently the temperature of the Potomac is around 78, so looks like we are going to be able to use wetsuits. I'm not very experienced with the wetsuit, I've been training without it, I felt really god on the DC tri and I think I don't need it for that temperature but it might reduce my time a little, so I'm willing to give it a shot. But I am a little worried that I'll be too hot with the wetsuit, so I'm asking for suggestions, will you use it if the temp is around just @ 78? My wetsuit is sleeveless so I guess it should be a little cooler, but I'm still not sure.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Wetsuit, wear it or not to wear it?
POSTED: 9/09/10 8:03 PM

If I can wear mine, I'm wearing it. For no other reason than the fact that I paid 170 stupid dollars for it earlier this year and didn't get to wear it at the DC Tri.

If I were you, I'd make sure I go to the practice swim on Saturday and test it out. Just do a short warmup and one or two fast 100 meter efforts to get your body temperature up and see what it feels like.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1065
POSTED: 9/09/10 8:32 PM

There is no way I am going to wear wetsuit on Sunday. It almost takes the jaws of life for me to get that thing off of me. I feel like Kramer from 'Seinfeld' when he wore jeans and Jerry couldn't pull them off.

bde1222's ravatar bde1222    JOINED: 7/13/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 9/09/10 10:46 PM

Maybe it's just me but I find it just as hard to put my tri top on when wet as it is to take my wetsuit off and already have my top on underneath. Speaking of, does anyone know if shirts are required for this race?

And, will they make the call on wetsuit/non wetsuit Friday night or will it need to wait until Saturday morning? Would be a pain to pack the wetsuit and not end up using it, I plan on riding my commuter bike down to the race site and locking it up so I don't have to deal with metro/cab/parking, so it would be nice to carry one less thing.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 9/09/10 10:56 PM

They won't make the final call on wetsuits until Sunday morning.

You don't need to wear a shirt in the water but you do need to wear one on the bike and run. I can't find the specific rule on the site but I think there's a USAT rule requiring shirts on the bike and run. One of the race organizers also mentioned the shirt requirement on this forum a couple days ago. That's as good a source as any.

As for the hassle of bringing the wetsuit, yeah, it's a pain if you're not driving afterward or getting picked up. I'll keep checking the water temperature updates through Sat. and then decide whether to bring the wetsuit.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 508
POSTED: 9/10/10 8:16 AM

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/dc/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&cb_00010=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=01646500

Looks like the temp reading this morning at 6:45a upstream a bit at Great Falls was 23.8 C (74ish F). So even downstream where it may be a little warmer, my guess is that (baring any over the top heat today or tomorrow) this will be a wetsuit legal event.

RT

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 9/10/10 8:49 AM

At the monitoring station just off of Ft. McNair and East Potomac Park, the water temperature is now 77F.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/geo.shtml?location=8594900

Today's high air temperature will be around 79 with an overnight low in the low 60s. High temp. on Sat. of 82, overnight low in mid 60s.

Yeah, it's seems that it will be wetsuit legal. The biggest weather challenge will be the rain and possible thundershowers. It'll be a cool rain too, with air temperatures in the upper 60s, maybe low 70s toward the end of the race.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 272
POSTED: 9/10/10 8:56 AM

The race is going to post an updated water temperature reading on the website today, and we will have another update tomorrow at swim practice.

Come down to swim practice and try a swim in your wetsuit and then take it off and hop in without. See what feels better. Just remember: you MUST be checked into swim by 3:44 pm. We have to shut down swim check in AT 3:45 pm. Everyone must be out of the water by 4:00 pm, so they are going to start sweeping the swimmers back towards the dock in adance of that. Come early!!!

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/11/10 9:18 AM

I think I read that anyone wearing a wetsuit has to go in the last wave. That kind of dissuades me... even though I'm pretty close to the end already

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/11/10 9:21 AM

Maybe I'm wrong about that. I can't find where I read it...

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 9/11/10 10:11 AM

Lauren - if the water temp is above 78 degrees and below 84 competitors can race with wetsuits but will not be eligible for awards and will go in the last wave. Hope that helps.

Courtney

POSTED: 9/11/10 11:25 AM

Water temperature is 75.3 today (Sat.) according to the Nation's Tri website. With overnight temperatures in the mid 60s, it looks like the race will be wetsuit legal, meaning that you can wear a wetsuit and still swim in your regularly scheduled wave.

Elroi's ravatar Elroi    JOINED: 6/10/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 9/11/10 8:02 PM

Hey out there,

I was wondering if anybody had and extra wetsuit or even wet suit
pants for tomorrow morning, I can meet you where ever is good for
you! I am 5'8 and 170lbs I can usually fit a medium or long/small. I
can be reached at 7034992194.

Thanks in advance
Elliott

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria