Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Baby Shampoo as anti-fog goggle spray?
CREATED: 09/03/13 by mjraugust REPLIES: 8
mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 103
Baby Shampoo as anti-fog goggle spray?
POSTED: 9/03/13 5:20 PM

Has anyone mastered goggle anti fog yet? Standing around waiting around for race starts fogs my goggles terribly and the pre-race wait for Nation's is longer than most other races. One of the Master's swim coaches recomended using Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo mixed with water in a mini-spray bottle as an anti-fog spray last Friday. Has anyone else given that a shot? Any idea what ratio of shampoo to water I should use? The Jaws brand Spit spray has not worked well for me at all. -Mark

ksimp2's ravatar ksimp2    JOINED: 9/9/11    POSTS: 21
RE: Baby Shampoo as anti-fog goggle spray?
POSTED: 9/03/13 10:13 PM

I have had really good luck with Defogger by Barracuda. Small bottle, but lasts a long time as you only use 1 drop in each lense.

Got it locally at Fleet Feet in Adams Morgan.

IronMike's ravatar IronMike    JOINED: 6/11/13    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 9/04/13 11:15 AM

Mark,

I never put it in a bottle. I simply applied a drop or two to each google cup in the shower after swimming. Worked like a charm.

N.B., I did this with new goggles. I've never tried it with goggles that had already lost their anti-fogness. ;)

MikeyPMA's ravatar MikeyPMA    JOINED: 2/16/13    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 9/04/13 11:41 AM

Mark,
I have used baby shampoo for my scuba mask and it works perfectly! Usually I just spit in my swim goggles (gross, but easy). The J&J is good because the pH matches or nears the pH of the human eye (7.5+/-) so if in the event some left over gets near your eyes, you won't be harmed by it. Plus at CVS, WallGreens or any of these type stores you can buy it in small travel size bottles that will fit perfectly in your swim/gym bag!

Mikey

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/06/13 3:45 PM

Someone suggested to me that I add baby shampoo and leave it on the goggles overnight. Then rinse them off the next day before a swim. So far so good, although it only works for 1 or 2 swims. Then the goggles start fogging up again and I have to repeat the process.

POSTED: 9/06/13 5:57 PM

Okay, so I did some tests last night trying to simulate race conditions.

First: I tried the diluted shampoo in a spray bottle, then rinsed with water. I didn't swim for very long but they still weren't that clear.

Second: I tried putting a few drops of the shampoo right on each lense and rubbing it around without a rinse. Super clear, but even with the no-tears shampoo, it burned enough to irritate my contacts.

Third: A few drops rubbed around with a water bottle rinse. This worked well, clear vision with no burning. I only swam for about 8 minutes after that so we will see if it lasts for the whole race, but that's what I will try Sunday.

Normally I don't have a bottle of water with me at the start of the swim so I bought some disposible bottles of water. Sunday I will take the travel size shampoo and a water bottle with me and apply the shampoo just before I start the swim. I hope this works.

mina's ravatar mina    JOINED: 12/7/12    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 9/12/13 9:59 AM

I would stay away from Quick Spit Anti Fog!

That's what happend to Azad:
https://www.dctriclub.org//forum/messages.cfm?tid=B921D240-98B3-F138-76EEDF89BA3F68EB&page=1

POSTED: 9/13/13 10:55 AM

The baby shampoo worked well, I rubbed a few tiny drops on both sides of the goggles then rinsed with a bottle of water I brought with me to the swim corrals. You definitely want to rinse them because even the baby shampoo can be an irritant after more than a few minutes that close to your eyes. I will throw away the quick spit I have.

-Mark

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 9/13/13 11:05 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Azad's experience with Quick Spit. I had been using a different anti fog solution (can't remember the name) but it didn't work particularly well. Someone recommended baby shampoo, and I've found that it works better than the anti fog solution. I just wash the lenses with a small drop of the shampoo, rinse well and let them dry. I'm no expert, but anti fog solution or the shampoo is not something you need to do minutes before the race. Do this at home while your prepping your gear in days leading up to the event.

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria