Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

HIM Poconos?
CREATED: 04/24/12 by rojojade REPLIES: 6
rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
HIM Poconos?
POSTED: 4/24/12 2:14 PM

I was just wondering if there was anyone that did HIM Poconos in the past.

I'm thinking about doing it, and I understand that the bike course has changed to be flatter - but I can't seem to find out anything else about this race.

Or thinking about Augusta instead. Or will take suggestions for any Half distances in late September - early Oct. Beach to Battleship is a bit too late for my schedule. And since I'm doing Eagleman, I don't know if I want to do the half at Cheaspeakeman.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
RE: HIM Poconos?
POSTED: 4/25/12 8:03 AM

I did Poconos last year which was the first year for the race. The swim was canceled due to rains and it was a pretty challenging bike course. Was the first race I had seen people actually walking their bike up hills for. I hadn't heard about a flatter course this year but you can read my full race report about Poconos here if you want:

http://jayhcochran.blogspot.com/2011/10/pocono-mountains-half-ironman-race.html

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
POSTED: 4/25/12 8:43 AM

If you don't like to swim, go Augusta. It's a down river swim. Bring the swim noodle and hang on :)

Rev 3 Cedar Point takes place on the grounds of an amusement park in Sept. Rev3 gets a lot of good reviews. The swim can be choppy, but they have a backup plan if it does. Rev 3 has the 140.6 going on in the same day, so you'll get to experience of the 140.6 without having to do the 140.6.

"Beach to Battleship is a bit too late for my schedule." -- sh*t triathletes say :)

Tuan

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 4/25/12 8:58 AM

SavageMan!! :) Sept. 16
http://rev3tri.com/half-full/hf-news/

Half Full Tri in Md Oct 7
http://rev3tri.com/half-full/hf-news/

Myrtle Beach Oct 13
http://www.active.com/triathlon/myrtle-beach-sc/myrtle-beach-classic-triathlon-2012

jbauer    JOINED: 1/1/11    POSTS: 75
POSTED: 4/25/12 6:39 PM

I did Poconos last year too, and Jay's race report does a really good job of explaining how the race went down last year. Overall, I think Philadelphia Triathlon put on a pretty good inaugural race especially considering the weather challenges.

As you mentioned, the bike course has changed for 2012. The last third of the bike route looks close to what we rode last year so you'll probably still hit one or two of the big climbs.

This was my first race with two transition areas, and I definitely prefer races with only one TA. This year's setup puts T1 and T2 about 20 miles apart, and the expo is at a third location between the two. This is something to consider if you'll be trying to hit the expo and set up T1 and T2 on a tight schedule.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 4/26/12 9:58 AM

Thanks guys! I didn't know last year was the first year of Poconos was happening. Good to know. :) And thanks jbauer for doing the recon on letting me know about the TA areas being 20 miles apart. O_o

Pam - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ya'll are crazy for doing SavageMan!

Tuan - I was thinking about Rev3 - but I'm signed up for Nations, and I would rather have Nations be the start of a forced taper then try to get tired legs to work during Nations. But maybe that's a rookie mistake? I dunno anymore. This is making my head hurt now.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 4/26/12 2:19 PM

Augusta last year was awesome. Fun bike course, flat run course, and fast swim course. The run course is a 2 looper through downtown and only somewhat shaded so if it's a hot one you'll have to be prepared. I could easily be talked into doing this again...probably.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria