Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Racking?
CREATED: 06/19/09 by skelly99 REPLIES: 4
skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
Bike Racking?
POSTED: 6/19/09 2:56 PM

OK, stupid question. I have to rack my bike for the ITU sprint tomorrow (first one ever). Do I need to cover it? How do people do this? What else needs to be there besides the bike?

Thanks,
Seth

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 977
RE: Bike Racking?
POSTED: 6/19/09 3:03 PM

Covering your bike is at your discretion. There has been forum debate about this before and people are of all opinions. Cover it. Don't cover it. Cover the gears. Get a chain condom. Throw a plastic bag over it. It's all up to you. There is no right/wrong option.

If the weather calls for torrential downpours, then you might want to. If there is minimal chance of storms, then you don't need to. Somewhere in the middle, then it's your choice. I think the one consensus that was reached was that you will get on the bike after the swim, so your seat is going to get wet whether it's raining or not.

As for what else needs to be there, just the bike. Nothing else. Transition will open at 4:00 AM on Sunday. That's when you add the rest of your gear in preparation for the race.

Good luck and I'll see you there.

B

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/19/09 3:38 PM

The lube is not going to wash off of your drive train, and I don't think that DC is a dusty/sandy place to foul it up. As result, I believe that covering that part of the bike is unnecessary. However, I am going cover my top-tube and cockpit. the reasons are that my computer shorts out when water gets into it, and two, I am going to tape a couple of gels to my top-tube. If I do this beforehand and it rains, the tape could detach. Likewise, the tape will not attach at all on a wet surface.

There is a company that makes and sells a "bike pajama" that covers your entire bike in transition.

As for bringing other things besides your bike, it is your call. Nothing else other than the bike is required for drop-off.

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 6/19/09 5:07 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/20/09 7:00 PM

this question does have a wrong answer. if you cover your bike that is the wrong answer, simple as that. LOL

but seriously, have a safe and fun race.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria