Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sandy Point - 9(ish) am Saturday morning (8/8)
CREATED: 08/08/09 by wombat REPLIES: 4
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
Warning - Sea Nettles at Sandy Point this weekend
POSTED: 8/08/09 8:03 AM

I had to cut my run short this morning (stupid hip injury) and will be heading out to Sandy Point in a few minutes to swim. Forecast on weather.com is good - no rain predicted until after 6 pm tonight.

If you want to go, call or text me. 202-302-3136

Tammy

Warning - Nettles at Sandy Point this weekend!
POSTED: 8/08/09 1:01 PM

If you are swimming at Sandy Point this weekend, be careful - the nettles are out. I have six separate stings/welts on my body.

ShannonO    JOINED: 7/10/09    POSTS: 17
RE: Sandy Point - 9(ish) am Saturday morning (8/8)
POSTED: 8/10/09 10:05 AM

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the stings. Were you wearing a wetsuit? I'm curious whether wearing a full suit would cut down or eliminate the stings...maybe with skin gloves. I don't know how you'd protect the face, though.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
RE: Sandy Point - 9(ish) am Saturday morning (8/8)
POSTED: 8/10/09 11:44 AM

I don't know if this stuff is any good, but I've seen it referred to
Safe Sea jellyfish protective lotion:
http://www.isnorkel.com/product-exec/product_id/3941

re: Warning - Sea Nettles at Sandy Point this weekend
POSTED: 8/10/09 12:29 PM

Stings weren't bad - by the time I went to bed the itching and burning had subsided. I was not wearing a wetsuit. A full wetsuit might have prevented the four stings I got on my arms. But I own a sleeveless wetsuit so that wouldn't have helped with the arm stings or the two on my ankles. And the stings weren't bad enough to stop me from swimming - I just stayed in the water and kept going.

For those of you heading out to Sandy Point this week, just be prepared. Check the nettle forecast, wear a wetsuit and take some vinegar.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria