Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Beach to Battleship Half
CREATED: 10/10/12 by rdolan REPLIES: 12
rdolan    JOINED: 8/8/11    POSTS: 29
Beach to Battleship Half
POSTED: 10/10/12 2:48 PM

I'm doing the B2B Half in a couple of weeks and finding the planning for the point to point logistics challenging. Can anyone that's done the race share any tips they might have? Anything you wish you'd thought of?

I'm planning to take the shuttle to T1 on race morning from downtown, so won't have access to my car to store any extra stuff.

jorlie's ravatar jorlie    JOINED: 11/19/10    POSTS: 57
RE: Beach to Battleship Half
POSTED: 10/10/12 4:19 PM

I'm in for the 1/2 as well. I believe this is the 1st year they are doing the multiple transitions. This is what I gather from the athletes guide and my recent experience with a double transition at the Chesapeakeman Aquabike.....

On race morning, all you need is your bike and swim stuff to take to T1. We are allowed to leave everything (helmet, shoes, glasses, nutrition,etc) on our bikes, so no need to put any bike stuff in a bag. Then, take your swim stuff with you out to swim start. There's a shuttle service from T1 to swim start. Once the swim is finished, we do need to put all our swim stuff in a marked bag that they'll take back to the convention center (T2). They do make it clear that they are not transporting anything back from swim start, so when you leave T1 on the shuttle, make sure you are swim ready and don't take anything with you that you don't want to leave behind.

In terms of T2, we do need to leave everything in a bag on Friday. I'm just leaving my visor, running shoes, extra gels, etc. When coming back from bike, someone will just take your bike (no need to rack it), then we'll proceed to the bag area to get our running stuff and dump or should I say bag our bike stuff. Also, there's no reason to go to T2 on race morning.

I hope this helps. I plan on coming down on Thurs and I'll be staying in a house near the swim start. I know of another fellow club member coming down, maybe we could get together and do an easy spin on Friday.

Good luck!!!

Jorlie

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 326
POSTED: 10/10/12 4:24 PM

Hi!

I am in for a relay, so I don't have the same logistical concerns, but I did see that we have to drop off our bikes on Friday

"Equipment Check-In:
All participants must check in their bikes AND changing bags at the Beach Transition Area (Wrightsville Beach Town Hall) between 12PM – 7PM on Friday October 19, 2012. There will be overnight security from Friday morning until Saturday morning."

Even with the new T2/finish area, I am looking forward to hearing other peoples comments. And tips for spectators/driving around.
Thanks
Amanda

rdolan    JOINED: 8/8/11    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 10/10/12 4:27 PM

Thanks! That is helpful, and sounds along the lines of what I was planning. The puzzle I still haven't figured out is how to pump my tires on race day (other than bum off someone else)

POSTED: 10/10/12 7:15 PM

I'll have my pump, since I can drop it off at the house. Everyone is welcome to use it.

I don't think this is a spectator friendly venue with 2 transitions, single loop bike, and out & back run. I'm just having my crew do lunch downtown and meet me at the finish. They'll also be at T1 b/c of proximity to house and late start. BTW-I'm 1st wave at 8:30 (M 35-39).

Lance140pt6    JOINED: 12/2/11    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 10/11/12 8:41 AM

I'll be heading down Thursday morning and will be doing the Full.

I basically just made an outline of what I need to have where and when for Friday, Saturday, special needs etc. Trying to read through the athlete guide can make your head spin. Just outline it as you read through it and you'll be just fine. This is the first multi transition race I've done so it's definitely a little different than other Ironmans I've done.

I'm up for a light spin on Friday. I have a condo right in front of the finish line on water street near the Hilton. email me at lancenobles@gmail.com or tex me at 225-278-5428.

Lance

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 10/11/12 10:48 AM

I'll be driving down on Thursday morning for the full as well, and staying at the Hilton.

A friend of mine did the race last year. One thing he recommended was getting some cheap warm clothes and wear some old shoes to keep your feet warm to wear from T1 down to the swim start since you won't be getting any of it back.

He said it can be tricky for spectators, especially during the bike portion of the race, but spectator support is spectacular during the run through Wilmington.

I might be up for a quick easy ride before checking in the bike.

email - molnarc2@gmail.com or 907-978-7282

Charles

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 89
POSTED: 10/11/12 8:19 PM

Driving down on Wednesday for the half. Rented a house down by the swim start. I'm planning on a light brick (40min spin and 25min light jog) on Friday. See ya'll there.

email wbdowntown@yahoo.com or 248-894-0572

Cheers,
Wes

POSTED: 10/12/12 5:08 PM

How about we shoot for noon on Friday to do an easy spin and put some names with faces? We could meet at T1. Also, starting at noon, we can leave our bikes at T1. Those interested either post here or contact me at jorlie_cruz@yahoo.com

Looking forward to racing next weekend & happy taper to all.

Jorlie

SeishiDar's ravatar SeishiDar    JOINED: 4/22/10    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 10/13/12 9:34 PM

Myself and my other half will be driving down on Thursday the Half as well. We're staying at a bed and breakfast this time. But my number is 240-508-6024. We are going to Nicola's for dinner at 730 on Friday evening for anyone who may want to join us. Just give us a heads up soon so we can make the proper reservations.

Also, I'm up for the noon ride Jorlie.

Dar

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 10/14/12 6:59 AM

I'm going to have to pull out of a noon ride. I just learned my wife is flying down to Wilmington on Friday and I'll need to pick her up on Friday afternoon around 12:30.

I'll probably go for a quick ride around 8am or so on Friday, if there is anyone that isn't able to do a noon ride.

- Charles

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 89
POSTED: 10/14/12 7:22 PM

In for the ride at T1 at noon on Friday.

POSTED: 10/19/12 6:27 AM

Still on for the noon ride. We'll meet at the parking lot behind T1. I'll have my dc tri shirt and a cannondale slice. We'll ride out to the swim start road.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria