Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2014 Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer -- Year #6 - Year of the Nuts ... Plural
CREATED: 03/31/14 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 6
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
2014 Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer -- Year #6 - Year of the Nuts ... Plural
POSTED: 3/31/14 11:53 AM

===============================================
2014 SUNDAY BIKE RIDE WITH THE VERTICAL SWIMMER
Year #6 - Year of the Nuts ... Plural
===============================================

Hello People who either like nuts or have them,

The Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer is officially back, but not really. First ride is Sunday, May 11, 2014. The entire ride schedule is at the very bottom of this message. I'd send this email out tomorrow, but then you all will think that it's an April fool's joke. I'd send this out on Wednesday, but your public school educated minds might not be able to comprehend new info on the third day of a work week.

The only thing in flux is Ironman Vietnam. The freaken communists are holding the Nations Triathlon on the same weekend. I'm debating whether to have it that weekend or the weekend after. I'll take a poll later on in the year among folks doing IM Chattanooga as to what they what. At issue is road closure. We have folks coming to our rides who may be inconvenient by the actions of these Viet Cong sympathizers. I'd also like to volunteer at the Nations Tri. However, whatever the group says, go. 0.0 mile swim, 117 miles on the bike, and 26.2 meters run ... 2 weeks or 3 weeks before Ironman Chattanooga? I'll leave it in the hands of the nut people.

========
PACES
========

The ride starts and ends at the corner of Wisconsin and M Street in Georgetown. Depending on hormone level, we will start at 7 or 8 AM. I will send out start time, cue sheets, and other specifics every week to the email distro list. Expect to start at 7:00 AM until daylight becomes an issue later in the season.

From past experiences, the paces for this ride vary from week to week. It depends on who shows up. Generally speaking, the biggest group is in the 18-ish mph. This is the average for the ride. This means that on the flats, the pace can be a bit spectacular. On the hills, there will lots of tears shed, a few testicles lost. Keep in mind that these averages are on roads with somewhat decent hills. I've left parts of my soul, and countless testicles, on many of these hills.

We do have people who are in the 15 mph+ range. We have had NTPers in the past who have come to ride with the group at the beginning, but drop off and ride for shorter distances. We've also had people in the way north side 20+ mph. Whatever your pace, fitness, or experience may be, just come out and ride with us. It'll give you structure, a place to be, and triathletes to train with every Sundays.

We all start together, but the group will break into its natural paces once we leave DC. The groups will stop occasionally to refuel and use the restrooms at various locations. These locations will be specified in the cue sheets that I will send out.

This ride is a very welcoming ride. We have folks of all levels and speeds who show up on any given Sunday. Everyone will be loved. No one will judge your full aero-kit. Oh, who am I kidding? If you show up in full aero-kit, of course we are going to judge your dumb ass. Tri bikes, road bikes, tricycles, and unicycles are welcome. I would say that most of the folks that show up to the rides are on tri bikes, some with fancy wheels.

We have a lot of folks doing IM Chattanooga this year. I'm hoping that most of them will show up so that we have a wider range of speeds than in prior years. Well, actually, I'm just hoping we have more females out there. When I say females, I mean any dudes that do not mind pulling Vietnamese #1 on the bike.

============
RIDE FORMAT
============

I'm putting the ride format verbiage here so that there are no misconceptions about this ride. This is a DROP ride. This means that the no bitching, no crying, and no moaning policy is in effect. The group will splinter at many points. The underlying message is, either suck it up buttercup and catch up the group or pretend that you have a cramp and fall back.

People will break up into their natural paces. We have folks going from 14-22 mph, so the group WILL break up into subgroups as the ride progresses. The implied understanding of this ride is that it's every man for himself. Expect no one to wait for you. Wait for no one. Please bring the cue sheet. That's why it's provided. Hopefully we'll get enough pace ranges out there so that no one ever rides alone.

The only exception is, if you see me riding alone, please drop back to pull me. That should go without saying, but I'll just say it because I know how some of you ingrates take great pleasures in dropping me.

==========
==========

To be part of this ride, just send me an email (number55555 at yahoo dot com) or post your email address in this thread. Don't just say that you're "in." I'm just a smuck in DCTri. I have no way of retrieving your email address from your username. Post an email address or email it to me.

I will add you to our distro list once I've received your expression of interest. **Everyone** from the 2013 list need to resend me an email, or post below. The 2013 email distro list will be destroyed after today. We will start with a fresh 2014 version.

By the way, have you heard of this race call PeasantMan? We are going to have a 56-112 mile ride at Lake Anna on the Kinetic course the day before PeasantMan, so you might as well sign up for it.

PeasantMan Shameless plug:

PeasantMan info:
http://www.facebook.com/peasantman

PeasantMan Registration URL:
PeasantMan Registration URL

====================
THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE
====================

Unless noted, all rides start and end at Wisconsin and M in Gtown.

-------------------
HALL OF FAME RIDE
-------------------

Saturday April 26 - Columbia BricNic
2-4 loops of a 26 mile Columbia Tri course

This is our annual 100+ mile ride that everyone does 52 or less. Let's keep the tradition alive by saying, this year, we will do the course 4x.

------------
PRE-SEASON
------------

May 3
PeasantMan Ride at Lake Anna - 50-100 miles

May 11
TBD: 47 - 60 miles

--------------
REGUALR SEASON
--------------

May 18
70 miles

May 25
80 miles

June 01
Vietnamese Century
89 miles

June 07
70 miles

June 15
80 miles

June 22
Vietnamese Century - Retro
89 miles

June 29
Whites Ferry Crossing
100 Miles

July 06
70 Miles

July 13
80 Miles

July 20
Legit Century. Well, not really.
100 miles

July 27
70 miles

Aug 03
80 miles

Aug 10
Cambodian Century. Notice that the Vietnames Century is longer. Yeah, size does not matter
87 Miles

Aug 17
60 miles

Aug 24 -
Reston Century http://www.meetup.com/Bike-Me-DC/events/152091132/
106 miles

Aug 31
70 miles

---------
PLAYOFFS
---------

Sept 07
Nothing. Volunteering at Nations Triathlon

Sept 14
Ironman Vietnam - 117 miles

Sept 21 -- Last ride of the season
30-45 miles

---------
SUPERBOWL
---------

Sept 28 - Legit Ironman
Ironman Chattanooga
2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run, brag for the rest of your life.

Tuan
number55555 at yahoo dot com

RE: 2014 Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer -- Year #6 - Year of the Nuts ... Plural
POSTED: 4/24/14 7:50 AM

Below is an email that I just sent out to the group. If you are not on the distro list, come out, join us, and log a bunch of extra miles.

===========================================
SUNDAY BIKE RIDE WITH THE VERTICAL SWIMMER
Star Date: Week 0
===========================================

Hello Peeps,

Still preseason. DCTri's Columbia BrickNick is this Saturday. I'm making a call out to all those who are interested in stretching their legs for a few miles. There will be a bunch of folks there clipping in at 7:00 AM. The earlier we start, the less food of ours that will be devoured by NTPers.

Per usual, we will attempt to do 4x of the Columbia Oly Course. Per usual, most people will stop at 2x, but a few may venture on for more miles. If you are interested, come out a little bit early and join the fun. All info about the bricknic are on DCTri's forum.

We'll meet somewhere in the parking lot. Just go find a bunch of cyclists. Chances are many of the early birds are DCTri folks. We'll clip at 7:00 AM. Once the group starts, folks will find their natural paces and pace group.

As of right now, I'm 80% sure that I will be there. If you don't see me there by 7:00 AM, leave without me. I'm still recovering from the Boston Marathon. I'm getting old. My legs don't recover as quickly as it does for some of you dopers.

Cue sheet:
http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=interact.events&id=614

==========================
UTTERLY SHAMELESS PLUG
==========================

For those who are interested, I'm organizing a PeasantMan Raffle/DCTri/NTP Happy Hour next Tuesdays. It's an annual event that attracts 100+ DCTri folks. Come for the entertainment, leave with a brother husband/sister wife. Go to the below URL to RSVP.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1439744109611107/

Tuan

RE: 2014 Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer -- Year #6 - Year of the Nuts ... Plural
POSTED: 5/08/14 1:42 PM

Let the propaganda begin.

First ride is this Sunday. 91 on the distro list. The over/under on the number that will show up is 25.

--Tuan

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 258
POSTED: 5/09/14 12:56 PM

Going with the over since it is supposed to rain on Saturday morning.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 5/09/14 3:17 PM

Perhaps a better over/under is how many finish with Tuan!

akaz    JOINED: 1/11/14    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 6/13/14 8:20 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to do the Skyline ride this weekend with the Sunday group. Is anyone driving out to Spelunkers and has space for me and my bike?

Thanks!

jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 55
POSTED: 6/13/14 10:25 AM

I sadly can't make it down to Skyline this weekend because of Father's Day stuff in the afternoon, but would still like to ride. Is anyone going to head out from the usual Gtown spot on Sunday?

-Meaghan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria