Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Indoor Bike Trainer
CREATED: 11/15/09 by krafty81 REPLIES: 3
krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
Indoor Bike Trainer
POSTED: 11/15/09 10:12 PM

I've always gotten great advice on this forum, so here is another question...

Looking for an indoor trainer for my Felt S32. I'm not into removing tires, just want something that I can put in my basement and ride. I'd like to be able to change resistance to simulate hills and make me shift every now and then. I guess fluid or magnetic would be the choices. Any ideas? Thanks.

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
RE: Indoor Bike Trainer
POSTED: 11/16/09 10:28 AM

Search the forum, Conte's is (was?) running a really good deal on some quality trainers. Only thing is, I vaguely remember the final date being November 15th, but I can't remember for sure.

Oh, and fluid is the way to go. Quieter, smoother, etc. With fluid trainers, you change the resistance by shifting gears.

EDIT: found the post http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=9CA70B1D-A3A5-2DA3-206E1C1B10FC7E2B and indeed, Nov 15 was the deadline.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1311
POSTED: 11/16/09 11:47 AM

I got one of those green machines in the link that Ryan provided. I got the $270 version for my Felt S32. It's a nice trainer. It's more quite than some of the other machines but it's not completely quiet. No one will hear it if you are in your basement but if you were watching TV while riding it, you will need to crank up the TV volume a little bit.

Make sure that you get the mat also because the stand will put a mark on your floor over time. The mat will allow you to clean your sweat up a little bit more easily. The front tire block is a good thing to have. It will stabilize your front wheel. It makes setting up a bit easier and will make riding aero more stablizing. Also, you might change your tune about not wanting to change the rear tire after your tire becomes square from a lot of use on the trainer ... just saying :)

Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 11/16/09 12:04 PM

NO trainer will be completely silent. but the fluid trainers are the quietest out of the bunch.

there are many othe threads on trainer suggestions, put in the search term indoor trainer or fluid trainer and you should get a bunch of threads on suggesitons for models and such.

you will have to change your tire after a winter of good use. if you use a trainer 2-3 times a week consistently for 1 hour at a time for 3-4 months it will wear the tire to have a flat spot you will notice it doing this because you will find bits of rubber on your floor from the tire wearing down, that is life. basically use your old tire this winter and buy a new set in teh spring when you go back outdoors. if you want to ignore this advice that is fine. just remember that the tire will now be thinner and more prone to flats.

and if you want to save money, a simple towel on the floor will take up most sweat (although i have a 1/2 inch thick gym quality mat if you want to buy it), and also if you don't want to buy a riser block, use an old phone book, why? because unlike a riser block you can adjust the incline or decline of your bike in minute amounts, and its a lot cheaper.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria