Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

IMLOU '10 - It's Not The Heat, It's The Gosh Darn Humidity
CREATED: 09/10/10 by kebeebe REPLIES: 9
kebeebe    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
IMLOU '10 - It's Not The Heat, It's The Gosh Darn Humidity
POSTED: 9/10/10 8:57 AM

A slight pause for station identification...I've started a website (mostly blog right now) so please visit and read about my adventures attempting to do this thing called triathlon for a living.

http://kelziebeebe.blogspot.com

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming (if you read the race report on my blog there are photos):

<reread post title>

Well actually, it was both. In excess. I’ve read 38C [~100F] with 90% humidity, or maybe 38C because of 90% humidity. That doesn’t sound comfortable, and it wasn’t, but everyone was dealing with the same conditions, no one was racing in air-conditioning. The only relevant difference was how acclimated you were to those conditions and what you asked of your body and when, based on that acclimation.

Last year, pre-dawn on race morning had a hint of chill, a pretense of slightly humane conditions. This year, at 5 am, the air was soup and the heat settled over everything like a wool blanket. I was dripping by the time I finished setting up transition.

A Return to Civilization

It is official: I swam an hour in an IM swim, I can die happy. Well, actually 1:00:04, but I’m counting it. Makes me reconsider with dismay the quick cap adjustment I did at the turn buoy to keep it from slipping off and taking my goggles with it. I’d give up another free cap for four seconds. New season goal: See a “5” as the first number in my swim time. It took three years to swim an hour, so new three-year goal: swim a 55.

So there I am, bobbing in the water, mere minutes before my first professional race and what pops into my head? “This is so civilized.” With 30-35 athletes our mass start wasn’t very “mass,” but all the better to focus on – shocker! – swimming fast. Is it just coincidence that I dropped nearly 5 minutes off my IM swim time the first time I wasn’t wading through the mass of humanity that is 2,500 people, of which 1,300 were first-time Ironmans? Doubt it. Their enthusiasm is infectious, but I’ve quickly learned, so too are their demons and disorganizations.

The water was bath-tub warm – 84F – and the sun wasn’t up yet, which made it really fun to find the first buoys. I held a draft for oh, about 30 seconds, and then I was on my own. I got into a groove and just swam. Bliss.

I had a yard stick/carrot in the form of a body off my right shoulder, far up ahead, for probably just less than the last two miles. Inch after inch was clawed back and I finally caught the person one buoy before the swim exit turn. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was a guy and former defending champion at IMLOU…who then went on to finish in 8:50…new lifetime goal: not care about how I finish the swim and pull off an 8:50 overall.

Eh…with several moments of hair-pulling, chair-throwing frustration. Bobby Knight, I finally understand.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my bike leg.

The longer version: two pro women came roaring by in the first 5-8 miles then I was alone aside from the occasional pass by an elite AG man. I learned there are two types of these guys: those who pull to the left well behind me so I can hear them coming, calmly pass giving us both enough space, and continue on their way never having broken pace. The other kind is like being buzzed by a motorcycle: those who pull up immediately behind me so I can’t hear them, zip right around at arm’s length, and zoom off. Dude, I’m glad you got your tubulars to squeal because obviously I train full-time and make nowhere close to a living so that I can haul your $160k-average-salary earning ass around this bike course.

Anyway, the first lap I waffled between taking it easy and going balls-out, but since I wasn’t riding as fast as I wanted when I tried to push a little I decided to hold off. As I said before: Eh.

Immediately after the turn onto the second lap I descended into AG hell. Pelotons. People riding in the far left of the single lane (we can’t pass on the right and can’t cross the yellow line). And worst of all: local traffic on the roads. Imagine being stuck behind a car stuck behind a slower cyclist riding down the middle of the lane, on a single lane road with no shoulder.

I wish I could provide a diagram of the absolutely most frustrating point of my bike, but words will have to do. One lane in each direction, with local traffic allowed – and present – in both directions and swarms of cyclists present and riding in the right lane. Aid station on the grass to the right of the right lane with volunteers standing on the edge of the pavement, arms out-stretched offering water, sports drink, etc. And a mini-van that had clearly gotten itself in WAY deeper than it could handle. The mini-van was sitting, hazards on, half-way down the aid station, mostly in the right lane, but enough in the left lane that the on-coming traffic couldn’t (wouldn’t?) go around and still be on pavement. Because the mini-van was blocking almost the entire right lane and the on-coming traffic was blocking the entire left lane with not enough room to slip between the front bumper of the mini-van and the first on-coming car (there was a line backed up…), every single cyclist had to squeeze around the right side of the mini-van, single file, on the strip of pavement between the grass and the mini-van.

Imagine being a fish in an aquarium and having all the kids all summer tap on the glass in your tank. I think that family can empathize.

Once I got free of that circus, I started hauling to transition, passing maybe 10 people who were finally coming back to me after the swim and/or blowing past early in the bike.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road – and Melts

Let’s be honest, IM happens a lot more often in hot and humid conditions than it does in cold and rainy ones. The weather report wasn’t spreading misinformation; we knew it would be a typical Southern US day without much reprieve. But how many people train by riding and running outside with no shade for 8 hours starting at 10 am? By way of an answer: I have never seen so many ambulances on a course.

Coming off the bike I new several things: 1) I had ridden relatively slow (aka I hopefully had something left), 2) I had caught two pro women and multiple AG-ers (aka people were starting to wilt in the sun), and 3) I was well-fed, but had been getting increasingly dehydrated over the last several hours (aka my own wilting process was underway). I had the goose bumps and a headache. What a day to decide I was going to run every step of the way. And away we go…

The first couple of miles were an easy 8:00 min pace and I was actually looking at my watch to make sure. But shortly after mile 2 – around the time I saw the defending female champion riding back to her hotel, already showered – I realized holding a pace wasn’t as important as simply holding running. I also clued into the pattern than would be my days and ways for several more hours: find it impossible to get all the ice and liquid I really needed at each aid station, get the dehydration goose bumps halfway to the next aid station, then triage the situation when I finally reached the aid but find it impossible to get all the ice and liquid I really needed… Although they didn’t look like it, my shoulders felt like the turkey skin that doesn’t get covered by the foil in the oven and comes out withered and crackling.

In many ways the race was over; now it was a war of attrition. I passed one pro walking at mile 4 and another asking to climb into the aid station ice machine around mile 6. One passed me around mile 10, before we both passed another very shortly thereafter. The one who passed me came back to me around mile 21.

If I had a personal check engine light, it would have come on hours before. Liquids were barely staying down, but I craved more than I could get and I was burning up, but had goose bumps. But I was in 5th place and running the sucker. I wouldn’t have believed you if your had told me this is how it would end.

Party In The Med Tent

I checked myself into the med tent, where I saw quite a few people I knew. Apparently nothing much was actually wrong with me – except perhaps the interest in racing an IM in those conditions – and chicken broth and Diet Coke can right a lot of wrongs.

So I’m happy (ecstatic!) with my place, disappointed with my time, although it was largely irrelevant except to determine that under the new 8% rule, I was not eligible to receive the prize money I’d earned. The race is to the line, not the end of the bike leg or any other spot on the course, and it got the job done on the day.

Ironically my prize was a plastic trophy.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 453
RE: IMLOU '10 - It's Not The Heat, It's The Gosh Darn Humidity
POSTED: 9/10/10 10:07 AM

You are incredible Kelzie! Awesome race!! Stinks that you did not win any prize money, you earned it on a mega-tough day.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 101
POSTED: 9/10/10 3:58 PM

Good writing. Enjoyed the RR. And, obviously, great race. Congratulations.

-- TJ

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 9/10/10 8:14 PM

That's some serious suffering. Hope you're recovering (recovered?) well.

Probably off topic, but...someday someone will have to really explain the motivation for the WTC 8% rule to me. Seems like such a small money grab that it can't be a good enough reason to tick off the pros like this.

Fantastic job! -Jason

POSTED: 9/13/10 9:21 PM

WTC's rationale behind the 8% rule (for prize money) and the 5% rule (for Kona and Clearwater slots) is the alleged watering down of the overall and Kona/Clearwater pro fields.

At first any undistributed prize money went back to WTC and Kona/Clearwater slots went unfilled. The 8% rule didn't really increase WTC profits because the prize purses aren't that large anyway. The winner of IMLOU gets $10k, I think IMAZ is $8k.

Earlier this year, WTC amended the rules so that prize money undistributed (because the competitors in prize money slots did not finish within 8% of the winners time) was distributed to those competitors who did finish within the money and 8%.

The rules amendment was brought about by a mini uprising of pros. Not many pros get their elite license and start making anything close to a living; Chrissie won Kona the first time with practically no sponsors, just a team membership that gave basic supplies. The $600 for 10th place is groceries, bike maintenance, paying the coach, the new pair of running shoes, plane tickets to the next race - and without those groceries, that maintenance, coach, and shoes, how are they supposed to get faster and closer to making an actual living?

So the percentage rules were meant to ensure only the best of the best received money and spots, but essentially crimped the pipeline or professional development ladder to being best of the best.

Anyway, this is kind of a moot conversation, thank goodness. As of September 1, 2010, the pay percentage is gone and prize money is paid out deeper. Kona/Clearwater spots for pros are distributed based on the accrual of points across the individual's top 5 IM or 70.3 finishes after September 1 of the previous year.

So....for pros, Kona and Clearwater is now more of a series championship than a world championship. Try that on for size.

- Kelzie

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 9/13/10 10:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation Kelzie.
-Jason

jomwilli's ravatar jomwilli    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 9/17/10 9:12 AM

Kelzie, I did get to run with you for about 3 minutes, but you pace was way faster than I could keep up with. It was hot out there, I'll post my race report soon. Great job with the placing, you were smoking.
-Joshua

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 220
POSTED: 9/18/10 6:13 PM

Way to go, Kelzie. It's pretty cool to have club members like yourself competing at the higher levels and representing us all over the place.

Also a bit off-topic, but if you don't mind me asking...

I've never been 100% clear about the terms "elite" vs. "pro" triathlete. Are those strictly defined terms or classifications granted by USAT and/or ITU? Are they interchangeable terms? Is it assumed that a pro triathlete does tri's as their job, but elite triathletes do not?

Will definitely be checking out the blog!

Thanks,
Kevin

POSTED: 9/18/10 7:06 PM

USAT (our national triathlon federation) sanctions two types of licenses: "age group" and "elite". The difference is primarily the ability to accept prize money. An age group license holder can only accept prize money in a race where the total prize purse (including both genders) is less than $5,000. An elite license holder can only accept prize money in a race where the total prize purse is more than $5,000. An elite license holder can compete in a race where there is no elite wave (and no prize purse at all), but is placed in the age group division they normally would race in if they raced under an age group license. In that situation, the elite license holder can not accept age group awards/trophies.

"Elite" waves in most triathlons are named thus by the race, not by USAT. An elite wave in a race with no prize purse - i.e. Nation's - is designated as such for faster racers who hold age group licenses and entrance into the wave is controlled by the race director, not by USAT or the license the participants hold. Generally, these are age groupers vying for the overall win who would be slowed down by negotiating the thousands of people in waves before them. An elite license holder would be in this wave, if this wave exists, even if there is no prize purse over $5,000. In a race with a large prize purse (i.e. WTC's IMs or 70.3s), the elite wave is for elite license holders who would be eligible to accept the prize money.

USAT formally only recognizes the term "elite" because it reconciles with the name of the license [although they do use the term "pro" colloquially].

However, pretty much everyone else uses the term "pro" for triathletes who earn money racing (and thus hold an elite license) and through sponsorships, whether or not they have a non-triathlon job on the side. Someone who races in an "elite" wave of a non-prize-purse race is not a "pro" because they are not eligible to earn money.

So....they are used interchangeably but sometimes incorrectly because each does have its own somewhat strict definition that applies in certain situations.

I hope this help and doesn't just confuse you further. If it did, just post more questions and I'll do the best I can.

-Kelzie

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 220
POSTED: 9/19/10 12:10 AM

Thanks so much Kelzie. Answers all my questions quite well!

Kevin

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria