Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

What kind of roof rack should I get?
CREATED: 07/22/10 by rudy REPLIES: 2
rudy's ravatar rudy    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
What kind of roof rack should I get?
POSTED: 7/22/10 5:54 PM

I just got a new truck and am finally going to spring for a roof rack for my bike.

I need help deciding between one where you take off the front wheel and one where you don't.

The one where you take the wheel off is more work. Why would I get that one instead of the one where you don't?

Thanks!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: What kind of roof rack should I get?
POSTED: 7/22/10 6:16 PM

taking off the wheel is not really that much more work.

but the reason why some prefer the fork mounts as opposed to the stand up mounts is that quite simply its easier to pt the bike up on the rack and take it down when you have the front wheel off.

putting up a full bike with both wheels on top of an suv can be a little tough for some, and when you have a fork mount it makes it a little eaiser as its lighter to put up there. This is all moot if you are 6'3" and taller then you probably don't have this problem.

also with fork mounts the attachment points for the bike are at the level of the roof rack, which makes things eaiser when clamping things down, with the stand up racks sometimes the final camp down points are a little higher.

last thing, some feel that fork mounts hold the bike a little more securely on the rack, in that the bike won't sway as much on the rack as it would if the entire bike was standing up on the stand up racks.

i have always used roof racks on all cars i have, and used both a stand up rack and a fork mount on an suv in the past, the fork mount is the way i go now on all cars as they are usually cheaper in general than stand up mounts, also when i did have an suv the stand up mounts were a pain to use but it worked extremely well and of course looks very cool with a full bike on the roof.

good luck, and have fun. roof racks are the way to go, convenient and very stable.

jomwilli's ravatar jomwilli    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
RE: What kind of roof rack should I get?
POSTED: 7/23/10 12:29 PM

Fork mounted is the way to go. It's more stable too.

I went with the Thule Echelon's and they look very nice on my car.

This place is the the cheapest on the internet, no sense in paying $200 more buying it locally.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria