Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

racing glasses
CREATED: 08/24/11 by stahir REPLIES: 7
stahir    JOINED: 6/4/11    POSTS: 12
racing glasses
POSTED: 8/24/11 2:41 PM

I need new sunglasses. (The last time I bought a pair was 10 years ago:(. I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on brands, models and any other advice I should keep in mind while making my "once-in-a-decade" purchase.

Thank you,
Susan

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
RE: racing glasses
POSTED: 8/24/11 2:53 PM

Through our partnership with Rudy Project, we get a 40% discount on their products which include a line of glasses.

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=partners.welcome#RudyProject

Ryan,
DCT Partnerships Guy

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 8/24/11 3:46 PM

Thanks for the reminder about the deal with Rudy Project. I have Rydons that finally had the nose piece break off after 7 yrs or so. Cheaper to replace that - and get some lenses - than to get a new set of glasses.

jen

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 8/24/11 6:06 PM

I have a pair of Tifosi sunglasses that are great because they have interchangeable lenses (comes in handy if you ride in different weather/light conditions). I also just picked up a pair of Rudy Project sunglasses (thanks for setting up the partnership, Ryan!) which are super comfortable. It's really an individual fit/style thing, so try on glasses if you can, or at least find a shop with a decent return policy (Rudy Project gives you 90-days).

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 8/24/11 6:45 PM

when in doubt you can't go wrong with the old standby.

anything by oakley, but in particular the radar or any of the m-frame or pro m-frame glasses.

though i am biased since i have the mframe, pro mframe and zeros by oakley.

warning - most oakley glasses look horrible if not being used while working out.

simcaha1's ravatar simcaha1    JOINED: 2/10/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 8/25/11 12:14 AM

I tried on a bunch of different pairs, I like the Oakley Radar's, especially the Radar XL. The Radar XL has a larger lense, which allows for a clear vision forward when on the aero bars. The only thing is, as mentioned above, they look pretty big to wear around town, if your not exercising.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 8/25/11 9:11 AM

I'm also a fan of the Oakley Radar. However, that particular model offers 3 different sized lenses (the standard Path, the larger coverage Range, and the I'm-not-sure-what-"golf-specific"-means Pitch). Check out their Customized Glasses and you can play around.

Also, +1 to looking slightly big to wear around when not engaged in sports.

You may opt for the lighter half-jacket or something.

As far as feel, fit and performance: the rubber sticks when wet on the nose and around the head, doesn't slide around when heavily sweating/raining; fits snuggly and comfortably enough to wear for hours on end (although the Flak Jacket/Jawbone feel like they can be worn for much longer); the lenses work really well and provide a crisp view when clean.

Lenses interchange very easily to accomodate conditions.

Definitely try on a number of brands/models to find something that FITS. Some cater to larger/smaller heads, depending on the brand or model.

Good luck finding your new shades!

My 0.0159 Swiss francs,
Trevor

stahir    JOINED: 6/4/11    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 8/25/11 5:42 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice and recs! Also, thanks to the helpful info I received during last night's track workout! Truly appreciated!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria