Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Rides for the Rest of Us: Pensive Pedalers
CREATED: 04/14/10 by craia REPLIES: 57
craia's ravatar craia    JOINED: 3/15/09    POSTS: 39
RE: Rides for the Rest of Us: Pensive Pedalers
POSTED: 4/27/10 10:51 AM

Thanks for the props, Barbara :-). Pensive Pedalers enjoyed a fantastic 30 mile ride in perfect weather last Saturday. We all agreed that the pace was fast enough that we really challenged ourselves, but not so fast that we demoralized ourselves (you know, that crappy feeling you get when you just can't keep up).

We'll do the same ride again this Saturday, May 1, leaving at 8:00am sharp from the plaza of the Reeves Center at the northwest corner of 14th & U Streets. Except this week we'll add a little more distance - the ride will be 35 miles. It's an out-and-back course, so if you don't want to do the full distance you can feel free to turn around at any time.

To recap, the course takes us west on U Street to Florida, then continues west on Q Street to Reservoir Road, which turns into MacArthur, which turns into Falls Road. We may make it all the way up to River Road before we turn around at the 17.5 mile mark. We emphasize enjoyment and safety, and average a 14-15 mph pace (faster on the flats, slower on the hills).

If you'd like to join us this week, let me know by posting to this thread or by emailing me at christina.raia@me.com, so I can keep an eye out for you. You can also call me at 202-288-4195.

Best,
Christina

Francisca's ravatar Francisca    JOINED: 11/19/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 4/27/10 12:21 PM

Count me in for the ride this Saturday!

Francy

JOSHROSENSTEIN's ravatar JOSHROSENSTEIN    JOINED: 3/12/10    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 4/27/10 2:03 PM

Hey Christina-
This ride sounds great! I'm up in Bethesda/F.Heights, so would it be possible to join up with the group somewhere on the way over? Just wondering what your timing usually looks like. Not sure if others up my way might be interested as well. I've got a race this weekend but please add me to your list.

POSTED: 4/27/10 2:19 PM

Josh - I'm not that familiar with the routes to/from Bethesda & Friendship Heights, but my best guess is that you might meet up with us somewhere near the point where Reservoir turns into MacArthur, maybe at Sibley Hospital. But please check your routes first and make sure the roads you choose to get you there are safe for riding! When we ride this weekend, I'll check and see how long it takes us to get to Sibley.

FYI, our rides won't always start from DC. Some will start from Glen Echo, some from Potomac (way out at the end of River Road) so we can get a break from traffic, get some hills in, and get some variety. So maybe some of those rides will be more convenient for you.

Good luck with your race this weekend!

Best,
Christina

POSTED: 4/27/10 2:19 PM

Francy, looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Best,
Christina

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 332
POSTED: 4/27/10 2:25 PM

But Christina, is there coffee or anything after the rides???

::=^)::

I am hoping to join you this Saturday!
Thanks for setting these up!!
Amanda

POSTED: 4/27/10 2:43 PM

Yeah, Amanda! Will be awesome to see you! Seriously, I was thinking about post-ride treats. I live only a block from our start point, so we COULD all throw our bikes on my back patio and head somewhere for some caffeine and sugar (oh, I mean, lean protein and low-fat carbs).

JOSHROSENSTEIN's ravatar JOSHROSENSTEIN    JOINED: 3/12/10    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 4/27/10 3:14 PM

Thanks Christina! The best place to meet up might be on MacArthur Blvd up by Sibley Hospital, but either way, this sounds perfect.

POSTED: 4/30/10 3:03 PM

It's going to be freakishly hot for tomorrow's ride, so make sure you wear sunscreen and bring plenty of fluids! And we'll leave promptly at 8am, so we can get our ride in before it gets really hot.

The fabulous 14th & U Farmers Market will be starting up again for the season this Saturday morning in the same spot as our meeting place (they open at 9am), so if you don't see me immediately look behind the farmers' tents. I'll do my best to stay in plain sight, but I also want to make sure I stay out of the way while the farmers are setting up.

For those of you who may be driving to the start point, I suggest parking on T Street between 13th & 14th, or on Wallach Place (one block south of U) in between 13th & 14th. There's usually available space on those streets at that time on a Saturday, and zone restrictions don't apply on the weekend. Don't park at a metered spot, though! New DC law requires meters to be fed on Saturday!

Christina

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 4/30/10 3:17 PM

I'm going to TRY to make it tomorrow morning..again! but of course don't wait for me. I'm so flighty!
There was some talk about picking people up farther along, near sibley. Is that happening?
Thanks!

POSTED: 4/30/10 4:03 PM

Hi Jeanne! We're not currently planning a Sibley pick-up, but we definitely can look for you there around 8:25 if you like. Let me know.

POSTED: 5/03/10 12:55 PM

Okay, Pensive Pedalers, now that we've got a few solid rides under our belts, it's time to head for the hills! This Saturday, May 8th, we're taking the ride way out to Potomac/Poolesville - we'll be starting at the end of Riley's Lock Road. It's a bit of a hike getting out there (45 minutes by car from where I live near 14th & U), but it is SOOO worth it! Google "Riley's Lock Road & River Road, MD" or use this link to find your way there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Riley's+Lock+Road+and+River+Road,+MD&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.003738,54.404297&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=River+Rd+%26+Rileys+Lock+Rd,+Darnestown,+Montgomery,+Maryland+20874&ll=39.077142,-77.339544&spn=0.018956,0.026565&z=15

We'll meet at the parking lot all the way at the end of Riley's Lock Road (there are other parking lots in the middle, so don't be deceived and stop too soon!). We will be clipped in and riding by 8am sharp, so if you need to assemble your bike, pump up your tires, apply sunscreen, etc. then please arrive early so we can leave on time.

I will be riding 40 miles, but I also have cue sheets for 30 mile and 20 mile routes if you'd like to take a shorter ride. The rides do stay together for the first 10-15 miles, then branch out. I will also be doing a short 10-15 minute run along the path by the river after our ride, so you are all welcome to join me for that too.

This ride is very different from the course we've been doing - it's mostly hills, hardly a flat stretch to be found. The roads have little traffic on them, and the scenery is gorgeous - lots of horse ranches and farm land. As usual, our average pace will be 14-15mph (which on this course translates into something like 40mph downhill, 9mph uphill, repeat ad nauseum). If you are faster or slower than this, feel free to join us, but anticipate that you may end up on your own!

If you would like to join for this ride, email me at christina.raia@me.com and I will send you the cue sheet. Please remember to bring your cue sheet, plenty of water, a repair kit for flats and other minor glitches, your phone, and enough money for cab fare back to your car should you decide you've had enough of the hills :-). You may also want some bug spray - it can get kinda gnatty down by the Lock.

Hope to see you out there!

Best,
Christina

POSTED: 5/07/10 6:53 PM

I'm postponing the ride for tomorrow, May 8th, for two reasons:

1 - this nasty cold I've got that seems to be saying to me, "I will NOT go away until you actually get some sleep."
2 - chance of thunderstorms and gusty winds early tomorrow morning.

Of course anyone who wants to do the ride without me is welcome to have at it :-).

I'll be back out on the same course (Riley's Lock Road start point - see post above) next Saturday, May 15th.

Christina

POSTED: 5/13/10 10:08 AM

Hi everyone! It looks like the weather's going to cooperate on Saturday, so get ready for a gorgeous ride! We're going to do the same ride that was planned for last week, starting at the end of Riley's Lock Road. See the post from me on May 3rd (2 above this one) for more details, and email me (christina.raia@me.com) if you're interested in joining so I can send you the cue sheet.

As always, the average pace is 14-15 mph (faster on the flats, slower on the hills). If you ride significantly faster or slower than this pace, then feel free to start with us and then take the course at your own pace!

Best,
Christina

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 5/20/10 3:18 PM

Are you all riding this Saturday? I'd love to join you if you are.

Thanks.

POSTED: 5/20/10 3:39 PM

Hi everyone! Tania, sorry it took me so long to post details on this Saturday's ride...it's been a crazy week!

Three of us had a great ride out in Poolesville last week. Melanie and her friend weren't quite as pensive on the uphills as I am, so they challenged me to keep my pace up! We will definitely do that route many times this season, so if you missed it last week you'll get another chance at it soon.

This week, 5/22, we'll take a little break from the hills and the farms and go back to our "usual" ride. We'll leave promptly at 8am from the northwest corner of 14th & U, staying out of the way of the farmer's market that will be setting up. We'll do 35 miles, heading out Reservoir Road to MacArthur. E-mail me at christina.raia@me.com if you'd like me to send you a cue sheet.

As always, the average pace for this ride is 14-15mph, which means we go faster on the flats, slower on the hills. If you ride faster or slower than this, bring a friend that's your pace to keep you company :-). Also, this is an out-and-back course, so if you do fall behind don't fret, we will be turning around and heading back the same way we came, so the group will find you on the way back.

Email me if you're planning on joining so I know who to keep an eye out for. If you can't join this week, get mentally set for next week's 40-mile ride leaving from Glen Echo park!

Best,
Christina

POSTED: 5/25/10 10:17 AM

Hi Everyone! Pam and I had a nice easy ride last week, so it's time to head back to the hills!

This Saturday, May 29, the ride will be leaving from the parking lot next to Glen Echo Park, which is at the intersection of MacArthur Blvd & Oxford Road. Use the link below to find it, or put 7300 MacArthur Blvd into your GPS (that address takes you to the park itself, not the parking lot, so be sure to look for Oxford Road for your turn into the parking lot). Look for me and my silver Toyota HIghlander.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=MacArthur+Blvd+NW+%26+Oxford+Rd&sll=38.968775,-77.139851&sspn=0.001185,0.00166&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=MacArthur+Blvd+NW+%26+Oxford+Rd,+7,+Montgomery,+Maryland&ll=38.969191,-77.140122&spn=0.001184,0.00166&t=h&z=19>

This week we'll be leaving at 7:45am - NOTE THE EARLIER START TIME! As the weather warms up, and our rides get longer, and the traffic gets heavier, it's better for us to get out earlier.

I'll be riding a 40 mile route. I also have a 30 mile option for those of you who would like a shorter ride. The two routes stay together for the first 18 miles. This route is mostly moderately hilly, with some flat stretches. It does include a significant climb up Brickyard Road - it's not that long, but it's steep (every time I ride it, there are moments when I'm not sure I'm actually going to make it. I always do, but it's not pretty!).

E-mail me at christina.raia@me.com if you'd like to join and I'll send you the cue sheet. As usual, our average pace will be 14-15mph, which means we go faster than that on the flats, slower on the hills, and cautiously around traffic. If you ride faster or slower than the group pace, be prepared to ride on your own, as there is only one regrouping stop on this ride. And as always, make sure you bring money, ID, phone, and a repair kit!

Best,
Christina

POSTED: 6/04/10 11:16 AM

Sorry for the late post this week, folks - crazy week! See my previous post - doing the same ride this week as last, except doing 45 miles by adding some extra distance on MacArthur at the end of the ride. Starting at 7:30am. Instructions and more information on the post above, email me if you think you'll join!

Christina

POSTED: 6/09/10 11:42 AM

Hi folks! Ride for this weekend is TBD - I'm waiting to see if I'll be able to have some bike repairs done in time to ride Saturday! If anyone else wishes to lead a "human-paced" ride this weekend, please feel free to post your ride here!

Christina

barbara's ravatar barbara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 6/11/10 6:27 PM

Is Pensive Pedalers heading out tomorrow for the Blue Ridge? If so, I'm hoping that there will be a contingent for the 30-mile ride, as I'm not quite ready for a 50-mile ride, and I don't want to ride alone in such isolated territory.

Barbara

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria