Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

OWS (New Thread)
CREATED: 06/20/09 by porfirio REPLIES: 12
porfirio    JOINED: 6/20/09    POSTS: 3
OWS (New Thread)
POSTED: 6/20/09 10:48 AM

Hi all. I just signed up w/DC Tri (just found out about it). I am new in the area & have struggled to get info. on open water swimming. Could someone help me out as google searches/other tri forums haven't produced results. I now know of the Gunston Manor OWS but that's every few weeks.

Also, if anyone's interested, I'd look forward to meeting up & scheduling some swims/car pooling (I work in DC so I'm local).

Hopefully, signing up w/DC Tri is the fist step!

LoryAR's ravatar LoryAR    JOINED: 6/20/09    POSTS: 2
RE: OWS (New Thread)
POSTED: 6/20/09 12:48 PM

Hi fellow newbie. I also just signed up with DC Tri in hopes of reducing some of my first time jitters. I am currently signed up for the Nations Triathlon race (Sept. 13). I started training in Feb of this year. But, feel like I really need to step it up a bit. I haven't experienced any OWSs and frankly that has me the most nervous. I've done the google searches too and found the Gunston Manor OWS as the closest opportunity. I plan on attending the one scheduled for July 11th, if your interested. I live in MD.

Good luck with your training!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1295
POSTED: 6/20/09 5:33 PM

Sandy Point near Annapolis MD and Lake Anna in Va are the two public places that most of the DCTri folks go to for their open water practice swims.

Having just come back from Lake Anna today, I can tell you that Lake Anna is more friendly towards new open water swimmers. They have swimming lanes for you to go back and forth. Think 200-300 meters swimming pool but in a lake with lane dividers and lifeguards. It's definitely a place you can go by yourself without worrying about swimming in the outdoors by yourself.

Sandy Point gives you a more "real world" open water experience. They don't have lanes. Think beach. They have buoys set up and lifeguards on standby most of the time. As long as you swim parallel to the beach and not go way way out in the waters, the lifeguard will let you swim regardless if you are within the boundaries of the buoys. Lake Anna is more strict about you not leaving the barriers that are set up.

I go to Sandy Point by myself all the time so swimming by yourself is ok as long as you don't mind being by yourself. The only bad thing about Sandy Point is that there are jellyfish when the water temp increases over the summer. The best part about Sandy Point is you can go 700-800 meters continuously from one end of the beach to the other. Lake Anna gives you about 200-300 meters (my estimate).

Tuan

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 6/20/09 6:03 PM

Anyone know if it is possible to go to Gunston Manor (where the OWS are sometimes scheduled) with friends, or does it have to be with the Open Water Swim folks when those are scheduled every month?

andreaso    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 6/24/09 9:11 PM

Does anyone know when the NTP OWS clinic will be held in Annapolis? I'd like to attend, but I have some travel scheduled so I want to be able to make a back up OWS plan just in case I'll be gone.

kmniland    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/25/09 12:48 PM

The Gunston Manor OWS clinics are held on private property that the homeowners association rents to the organizers. I'm pretty sure you can't just show up anytime. Pohick Bay park is right next door and I wonder if you can do swimming there? Anyone know?

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 6/25/09 1:49 PM

Pohick is part of NVRPA (Nova Regional Park Assoc.). You need a permit to swim there. I wouldn't attempt swimming there w/o one b/c the boat launch is near the small beach where the OWS are held. Sometimes, group swims are organized for Pohick. Haven't seen one in a while.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 6/25/09 2:53 PM

I haven't been to Lake Anna, but have been to Sandy Point a few times... with and without jelly fish. It's about a 45 minute drive from the DC area. Not a bad place to swim. I would highly recommend OWS practice before your first race.

I'm relatively new to the club myself (this is my first season with them) and I've found everyone very helpful, very friendly and, most importantly, very eager to train.

heck, just by posting a forum note I managed to wrassle up a group of about 15 people to head to Cambridge to ride the Eagleman course. I suspect you might find interest in heading to Sandy Point on any given day doing the same thing.

If you do go to Sandy Point, I'd recommend an early strat to try to beat traffic and get in and out before the picnicers and beach goers arrive.

-becky

ShannonO    JOINED: 7/10/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 7/31/09 8:43 AM

Has anyone swum at Sandy point lately? How are the nettles/jellyfish looking?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1295
POSTED: 7/31/09 9:13 AM

I was there last week. No jellyfish to be found. Nettles ... I think that I may have hit a couple with my arms but not sure if they were nettles or other "stuff." Nettles feel like noodles to me and does not sting. I swim with a full body wetsuit so take that for what it's worth.

I will be going there again this Sat with the Wombat ... she stings more than a thousand jellyfish.

Tuan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 953
POSTED: 7/31/09 9:22 AM

FYI:
Luray is having open water swim clinic and practice next Saturday (August 8th) should anyone want some OWS help. It costs money, but not too much. (I've never been, so I cannot rate how good it is.)

Bryan

rfalkdc's ravatar rfalkdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 7/31/09 3:57 PM

Any details on this?

idar's ravatar idar    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/31/09 5:15 PM

I did this earlier this year to prep for the Luray Oly and get a sense of the lake course and the transition. Thought it was great. Details are here:

http://lurayswim08aug2009.eventbrite.com/

Geared toward beginner and novice triathletes, the Luray Triathlon Open Water Swim Practice will help you prepare for the Luray International and Sprint Triathlons on 8/15 and 8/16 as well as other short course triathlons with open water swims.

Coaches will be there to talk briefly about open water swimming and give tips for success, but most of all the practice is an opportunity for YOU as the athlete to get in open water in a safe, lifeguarded, stress free, non-competitive environment that will bolster your confidence come race morning. Course will be marked with buoys and you are welcome to swim multiple laps of the course within the allotted time frame. Please note that this is not an individual stroke clinic.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria