2019 Need for Volunteers!
The DC Triathlon Club could not run without the help of volunteers! We have a number of events coming up (now that the weather is getting warmer!) that we could use some help at.
- Spring Bricknic – April 27: we need 2-3 people to help gear watch and cook
- Spring Training Duathlon – May 18: we need 3-4 people to help time, watch gear in the “transition area,” and check in registrants
- Elk Neck Camping Weekend – May 31 – June 2: we need 1-2 people to help with the open water swim and support
- Training Triathlon – June 23: we need 3-4 people to help time, watch gear in the “transition area,” and check in registrants
- Deep Creek Lake Camping Weekend – July 26-28: we need 1-2 people to help with support and swim
What does volunteering at these events entail, you ask? Great question!
- Club Training Races:
- Club Racing Leads: we need a few hours of your time on the morning of the training race as well as a few hours in the week leading up to the event. In the week leading up to the event, we will work with you to get some supplies (table, club banner, course markers, bib numbers) from club storage. We will give you a small budget to go buy some post race refreshments (snacks, drinks, etc.) for the training race. For the training race itself, we will get you trained on the WebScorer timing app and help you run the event! Don’t worry, you won’t be sent out on your own with no knowledge of what to do! We will be there to help you!
- Club Racing Support: we need a few hours of your time on the morning of the training race to help check participants in, to direct participants on the course, or to help time. For timers, we will give on-sight instruction about how to hit a button on an iPhone or an iPad! It’s SUPER tough!
- Gear Watchers: it’s SUPER easy, we just need a few hours of your time on the morning of the event to watch people’s gear as club members go out and ride.
- Cook/Grill Master: this volunteer role is exactly like what it sounds like: we need someone to help cook and grill the main course (typically burgers and brauts). The Club will supply all the main course items and the grilling utensils and charcoal, we just need someone to help us by grilling. So grab your “The (Wo)Man, The Myth, The Legend. The Grill Master” apron and show us your grilling skills!
- Camping Weekends:
- Camping Weekend Organizer: this role requires a bit of extra effort as the organizer is the point person for the camping weekend, corralling members before the rides and runs, making sure everyone knows the routes, and that the SAG wagon knows where to go. The Club will help reserve all the campsites and getting members registered, we just need your help making sure that they have a great time!
- Open Water Swim Monitors: it’s really easy but also super important, we need some attendees at the camping weekend who are willing to monitor swimmers as they enter and exit the water making sure all who go into the water also come out!
- SAG Wagon: this one is really easy too! You get to sit in an air-conditioned vehicle and follow the cyclists around during the weekend’s bike workouts and see if anyone needs refills on water, nutrition, tubes, etc. The club will reimburse the driver for gas expenses and will buy the supplies needed.
- Race Support:
- Race Support Lead: do you like seeing the club tents/banners at races? I know we do, but the Board members don’t go to every race, so we could use your help getting the tents/banners out to more races! The Club will work with you to get you the tents/banners from storage. We will give you a small budget to buy some post race refreshments (snacks, drinks, etc.) for club members to have after they’re done racing (we have coolers and tables as well). We have chairs and bike racks too if you have the room. It is definitely possible to BOTH race and be a race lead bringing the tent! Needless to say, it’s probably very useful to have a car or access to a car for this role!
- Race Support Assistant: if there is a Race Support Lead for a race, then we know they would not turn down some assistance! So if there is a Lead, then the assistant’s role is to help the Lead get the tents set up and taken down, to help buy food and set it up, etc. As above, it is possible to BOTH race and assist with Race Support!
If you are willing to help out with any of these roles, please please contact us: email@example.com