2021/2022 Board Of Directors Nominations
The DC Triathlon Club is seeking up to seven (7) motivated candidates for the 2021 Board of Directors to join the six (6) current Board members serving out the remainder of their two-year term. The 2020 year has been a wild one, there is no doubt about that. We, the Board, tried our best to turn lemons into lemonade this year and we hope you enjoyed some or all of the offerings that we put together this year. Now we are looking for new members to join the Board and help us make pink lemonade. Or strawberry lemonade! Or mango lemonade! Anything other than COVID-19 lemons! So this is your opportunity to help make 2021 even better than 2020 and join us on the Club’s Board of Directors! We encourage all interested candidates to nominate themselves for Board membership. A club-wide vote will determine the up to seven (7) members who will join the 13-member Board.
The incoming Board members will join the following members completing their term:
- Patrick Pannett
- Rob Read
- Kyle Simpson
- Mallory Scott
- Stephan Weyers
- Justin Rowe
The guidelines for Club members who would like to run for a Board position:
- You must be a paid member for the 12-month period prior to elections, or receive a unanimous vote from the current Board, to be eligible to run (please don’t let this be a deterrent — contact us!).
- The term is a two year commitment (2021 and 2022) to the Board.
- The board meets once per month (2nd Monday of the month) and attendance or calling in is mandatory.
- The board typically holds a weekend retreat once a year in the February timeframe, but 2021 retreat will be discussed with regard to COVID-19 restrictions.
- You should expect to commit 2-5 hours per week for Club duties.
NOTE (NEW THIS YEAR): If you would nominate yourself for a particular role on the Board instead of the typical “at-large” nomination, then we are looking for excited individuals to fill these vacancies (please keep in mind that some of these roles are affected by how the pandemic and restrictions will play out in 2021):
- Director of Events: in charge of helping to plan monthly club-wide happy hours; the winter/spring and summer member meetings, and the fall annual meeting.
- Director of Training: in charge of ensuring training ambassadors have the resources necessary to put on the weekly swim/bike/run workouts; helping to plan the two bricknics and the two training/camping weekends.
- Director of Racing: in charge of organizing the slate of club training event races (swim meets, duathlons, training triathlon, etc.); helping to organize club race support at featured races.
- Potential positions:
- These are roles that could, but not guaranteed, be open as current Board members might shuffle around to try new strategies and angles working with the Club or move up into Officer roles within the Club.
- Director of Communications: in charge of the marketing and communications of the Club including the weekly newsletter and our social media presence.
- Director of Community Groups: in charge of working with the community leaders to ensure they have all they need to successfully run their groups; working on advocacy and outreach to the larger community.
NOTE: Keep in mind that all of these positions work in tandem with the rest of the Club’s Board of Directors and also work with volunteers to make them happen. So the phrase “in charge of” could be more administrative and planning related as opposed to boots on the ground direct activity.
If you would like to nominate yourself, please post to this forum thread and let us know why you are a good candidate (e.g., what you have done for the Club, relevant experience that will help to make you an effective Board member, and what you would like to see happen in 2019). You must post by 11:59 pm on Saturday, October 31st if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send any questions to email@example.com.
Elections will be held via electronic ballot from Monday, November 9th through Wednesday, November 25th. The new Board members will be notified on the following weekend. We are looking at options for a virtual Annual Meeting, but, sadly, we do not expect to hold an in-person meeting in 2020.