DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Club Camping/Training weekend at Deep Creek Lake State Park 2014
CREATED: 03/20/14 by astolz1 REPLIES: 39
astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 609
Club Camping/Training weekend at Deep Creek Lake State Park 2014
POSTED: 3/20/14 8:16 AM

Hi all,
Wanted to get the discussion going and the word out that this years DCL camping/training weekend has been set for July 25-27.
First, thanks go to Khang, Murdoch, and Andrian, for really stepping up and organizing the weekend last year!
Khang and Sean, maybe Murdoch, Andrian are stepping up this year to lead this uber fun event!
More info including grabbing your ticket, signing up for various weekend activities, carpooling and campsite assignments will be posted on this forum and on the left under SOCIALIZE>>2014 Camping Training Weekends.
Cheers,
- Adam

jbauer    JOINED: 1/1/11    POSTS: 84
RE: Club Camping/Training weekend at Deep Creek Lake State Park 2014
POSTED: 5/19/14 9:20 PM

Registration is now open! Reserve your spot!

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 115
POSTED: 5/20/14 11:24 AM

I'm going to try to make it...but as I don't have any camping gear at all (AT ALL), I might stay at a nearby hotel.

jennydavis    JOINED: 11/3/13    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 6/04/14 3:42 PM

I am definitely interested. I am registered for savageman and haven't been to deep creek before. I also LOVE camping and inexpensive mini-vacations. Curious - I'd like to bring my significant other who wont be doing much of the training. Would he be totally out of place? Is it the kind of thing where I could invite a couple of friends for a camping trip and they might do their own thing while we're training? I'm not trying to impose if this would mess with the regular flow.

Great idea! Thanks!

kuhnlm's ravatar kuhnlm    JOINED: 6/19/14    POSTS: 40
POSTED: 6/19/14 9:28 AM

Hey there. Has anyone started a thread about carpooling by chance? I don't have a car but would be willing to pitch in for gas and food!

brownnugen    JOINED: 3/23/14    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 6/25/14 8:02 PM

I also had the same questions about whether bringing the family (wife and kids) would be totally awkward for this weekend.

Is this really less than $10 for the weekend?
-Nick

jrnehmer    JOINED: 6/10/14    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/26/14 10:36 AM

Not a lot of info here guys - I'm curious about this trip but have no idea what it entails, what the arrangements are, etc. Please post more detailed information.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 609
POSTED: 6/26/14 9:52 PM

Khang and Sean are this years weekend organizers, thanks guys! They'll be able to fill in more deets here including an itinerary.
Justin, training@dctriclub.org, is the club training director helping them out.

The club picks up the majority of the fees for club members. That's why the price is so low!

POSTED: 6/28/14 9:30 AM

I am signed up for the Savageman 70.3 and would really like to take advantage of this weekend to familiarize myself with the course (especially the bike). I am down in Alexandria, is anyone interested in carpooling?
-Nick

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 6/29/14 1:16 PM

I'm also interested in carpooling. Will happily pay the gas/other costs. If I can't find a ride, I can bring 2 others. Can meet at any point in N A-town, or anywhere else I can park/metro. I'm at clcohen at gmail.
cheers,
Carol

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 112
POSTED: 6/29/14 3:00 PM

Planning to attend the camp. I can drive and prefer to drive. Can take one other and one bike. I live in near the Twinbrook Metro in Rockville.

jshavill's ravatar jshavill    JOINED: 6/18/13    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 7/02/14 6:53 AM

I have one or two friends that are also doing Savageman, but not DC Tri members, can I sign them up too? Or can they pay the full camping fee on their own and join us for the swim and rides?
Thanks!!

POSTED: 7/02/14 11:14 PM

All - I apologize for the delayed reply. I'll spare everyone excuses and get directly into answering questions.

jennydavis, brownnugen, jshavill - As Adam mentioned, the club picks up most of the cost for the campsites, which is why the price is so low for the weekend. Friends and family are welcome to join the fun, and they've attended in previous years. If you have a significant other and/or kids that will be camping, go ahead and sign them up under the regular Eventbrite registration ($6 ticket). If you have other non-member friends camping, sign them up under the newly added non-member ticket ($19). If they'd prefer to reserve a campsite on their own, that's cool too. If anyone is not camping and will be making his/her own lodging reservations, then just use the training only ticket ($0) as there is no cost to the club.

jrnehmer - The weekend itinerary is still being put together, but it is pretty relaxed and you can do as much or as little as you want. Here is a very brief overview of the tentative plan for the weekend:
Friday
-arrival
Saturday
-Group photo
-Savageman 30 (22.9 miles) or 70 (56 miles) group ride
--optional second loop of SMAN 30
-Brick run (optional)
-Open water swim clinic and group swim
--note: we're still working on the permit for the swim
-Group run (optional)
-Group dinner at Mountain State Brewing
Sunday
-Group breakfast
-Team run/race
Again, everything is optional. Weather and interests of the group can change the plans too.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Post them to this thread or send me an email at training@dctriclub.org.

Justin

Bab4500's ravatar Bab4500    JOINED: 1/14/13    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 7/05/14 5:17 AM

Really looking forward to this! Is there any information about what will be at the campsites in terms of facilities (showers, etc). Thanks! -Ben

POSTED: 7/07/14 5:34 AM

Ben - Yes, there are showers at the campsites. A list of services and amenities is available here. Additional park information is available here.

ptorresb's ravatar ptorresb    JOINED: 4/11/13    POSTS: 134
POSTED: 7/08/14 11:19 AM

How many tents per campsite? -- pablo

POSTED: 7/08/14 9:11 PM

I just secured a spot. Looking forward to it.

Lisamk1034    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/09/14 8:16 AM

Anyone still have space for human + bike?

pmorand    JOINED: 1/13/14    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/11/14 2:10 PM

Any further updates on the itinerary? Were we able to secure a permit for the swim? Thanks! Patrick

POSTED: 7/12/14 9:48 PM

Pablo - The park website states 2 tents per campsite, but we were able to have more than that last year and a few weeks ago at Elk Neck. As long as we stay on the tent pad, I think we'll be okay with more than 2 tents.

Patrick - The swim permit hasn't been approved or declined yet. We'll continue to follow-up with the park service this week.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria