Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Seeking OWS venue near Charlottesville for 9/6
CREATED: 08/28/14 by LizzieC REPLIES: 3
LizzieC's ravatar LizzieC    JOINED: 6/29/13    POSTS: 6
Seeking OWS venue near Charlottesville for 9/6
POSTED: 8/28/14 8:43 AM

Does anyone know of an OWS venue in or close to Charlottesville, VA? A friend from Maine will be there next weekend (9/6) and wants to get an OWS in. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 387
RE: Seeking OWS venue near Charlottesville for 9/6
POSTED: 8/28/14 10:40 AM

Walnut Creek Park, Chris Greene Lake, and Lake Monticello are the places that come to mind. Walnut Creek Park currently hosts the Charlottesville XTERRA Triathlon and it used to host the Charlottesville Sprint & International Triathlons... plus, it has beautiful running trails. Unfortunately, park & county rules don't allow for open water swimming there after Labor Day, unless it's an organized practice for Charlottesville Triathlon Club. Chris Greene Lake hosts the annual Chris Green Lake Cable Swim, one of the oldest open water swimming events in the country, and Lake Monticello hosts the Monticelloman Triathlon... but I don't know what the policies are on OWS are at either of those two venues.

If your friend isn't dead set on open water, and just wants to swim, definitely check out UVA's aquatic and fitness center (students refer to it as The AFC). It's a state of the art pool and recreation facility, easily the best student rec building I've ever been in. Plus, it has the largest hot tub on the east coast... a great place to relax for a few minutes after a good swim workout. But it may be closed on Sat Sept 6, because it's right next to the football stadium, and UVA has a home game against Richmond that day.

Your friend should reach out to Charlottesville Triathlon Club to find out if they have an organized open water swim that weekend:
http://www.charlottesvilletriclub.com/
Charlottesville Multisports might also have some info on when/where you can do open water swimming in September (plus, I just noticed a pic of me riding in the 2011 Monticelloman Triathlon on their website's main landing page!)
http://www.charlottesvillemultisports.com/CMS/Charlottesville_Multisports.html

Good Luck! And Go Hoos!!
-Luke

LizzieC's ravatar LizzieC    JOINED: 6/29/13    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 8/28/14 10:49 AM

Luke, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! I've forwarded her the info and expect she'll be able to come up with something suitable. Much appreciated.
Elizabeth

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 387
POSTED: 8/28/14 11:19 AM

Glad I could help! BTW, we should probably expand the Learn>Locations section of the DC Triclub website to include information on out of town places to train. I would include any recommendations club members have for great pools, open water venues, roads, running trails, and parks in VA, MD, WV, DE, PA, and NJ... basically anywhere within a 3-4 hour drive that club members frequent for training trips or vacations.

Any thoughts others have on this idea?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria