Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

July 4th Mason Neck OWS + Bike/Kayak
CREATED: 07/02/13 by bronxking REPLIES: 9
bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 85
July 4th Mason Neck OWS + Bike/Kayak
POSTED: 7/02/13 6:22 AM

Come celebrate Independence Day with a brick!

So I'm going with some folks to Mason Neck State Park (50 min drive from DC) for an informal 1-mile OWS followed by either a 20/30-mile bike ride and/or a 1-hour kayaking trip. I have room for one more person + bike in my car. Let me know if you want to come and need a ride. You can meet us there too! There is no kayak/lifeguard support, so you should be comfortable with swimming in open water on your own. That being said, I also try to stay at the back of the pack to keep an eye out for folks in the water, but you shouldn't depend solely on me.

I plan to leave DC at 8 AM, and get there by 9 AM, rain or shine. I would need to return to DC by 12:30 PM or so.

-David

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
RE: July 4th Mason Neck OWS + Bike/Kayak
POSTED: 7/02/13 6:41 AM

Intriguing ...

I'm interested. I have a bike, a kayak, a wetsuit ... and I'm not afraid to use it :). Please send me details number55555 at yahoo dot com. I'll drive myself.

Thanks,
--Tuan

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 362
POSTED: 7/02/13 9:19 AM

Nice. Mason Neck State Park is on the west side of the peninsula. Check out the Gunston Manor OWS area, east side of the peninsula, to get familiar with the layout of the training tri's, July 7th and Aug 11th, too!

FYI, be careful swimming if it rains more than 1/2" between now and Thur. The "stuff" that runs off into the Potomac can get you sick I'm sorry to say. Kayaking may be a better option. Also, high tide is 6:10am.

Tuan and anyone else that may like to do water support (kayak, paddleboard, in water) and has thier own toys for the Training Tri Sunday, email support@dctriclub.org.
Please email support if you can volunteer to help out with any part of the Tri Sunday too. Your fellow club members and I appreciate and thank you in advance!
- Adam

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
POSTED: 7/02/13 9:39 AM

Adam ... I would have loved to bring my kayak to the training tri, but that's on a Sunday. Sunday, I have to lead the Sunday bike ride crew. They'd be lost without me :)

I'll strongly consider bringing my kayak on 8/11. It's the weekend before my Ironman. I wasn't going to ride much that day anyway.

--Tuan

POSTED: 7/02/13 10:20 AM

Tuan, I'll send you details when I'm off my billable hours. =)

Adam, thanks for the heads up. I swore I would never swim in the Potomac and that's why I refuse to do Colonial YMCA and Nation's Tri. However, since I'm a pretty boy and jellyfishes and I don't exactly jel together (get it..hahahah..I know, lame) , I'm forced out of Sandy Point for the rest of the summer. I considered the sewage overflow into the Potomac, and relying on my "ignorance is bliss" attitude, I somehow think that swimming on the west side of the peninsula may be better. The west side has water emptying out of the Occoquan watershed/river basin which is slightly less populated than the river basin emptying into the Potomac and into Gunston Cove. Both bodies of water are probably just as polluted, but eck, ignorance is bliss.

FYI, I called the park, and they begin renting kayaks/canoes at 9 AM. So if the water seems stinky, we can always go paddling instead and check out some bald eagles!

Msemenec    JOINED: 11/6/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 7/02/13 11:33 AM

I want to go! I have a paddleboard. If the water's not so swim friendly, it would be nice to just paddle around for a while.

I can drive separately. Is there a specific place in the park I should meet you?

Michele

POSTED: 7/02/13 12:22 PM

Meet by the parking area closest to the kayak/boat launch @ 9AM. See Mason Neck State Park Map: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/documents/masonneck.pdf

My car will be a Honda Civic Zipcar. Here are the bike routes and I've never done them before, so I can't guarantee it will be a sweet ride, but it should be out of major traffic:

20 mile bike route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/238194803

28 mile bike route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/237586755

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 139
POSTED: 7/02/13 8:06 PM

I could use an OWS on the 4th. I will probably decide tomorrow afternoon depending on rain situation
Dena

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 176
POSTED: 7/02/13 11:47 PM

You might want to take a closer look at the 28 mile route. I'm not sure whether Woodlawn/Klingman is still open and/or what restrictions there are entering the military gate at Telegraph and Woodlawn/Beulah.

POSTED: 7/03/13 11:18 AM

Hey, the event is canceled due to the heavy rains today.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria