DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Lake Placid, anyone?
CREATED: 08/20/09 by Delnora REPLIES: 11
Delnora's ravatar Delnora    JOINED: 3/16/09    POSTS: 10
Lake Placid, anyone?
POSTED: 8/20/09 6:36 AM

Hey all,
I've signed up for Lake Placid and now looking to see who in DC Tri has also signed up. Will be looking for some training partners this spring, but more importantly wanted to poll people on their lodging plans. Anyone have an inside track on renting a house or condo or something for this huge event?

thanks!

Delnora

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
RE: Lake Placid, anyone?
POSTED: 8/20/09 9:30 AM

I'm signed up too and plan to be training on the MoCo hills this spring. I actually have a lot of Lake Placid contacts so I have multiple - but as of yet vague - options for lodging. E-mail me offline so we can stay in touch!

- Suzanne

PS So it was YOU who passed me at mile 4 on the run last Sunday! Nice job lady!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 8/20/09 9:51 AM

In for the second time. Planning on staying at Northwoods Inn. It is right on Main Street in downtown Lake Placid.

Yes, the hills of Montgomery Country will get you in great shape for the LP course!

Kevin

alex's ravatar alex    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 8/20/09 12:07 PM

I'm in and I have been trying to arrange a hotel but they all seem fully booked. If any one has any information about places to stay then it would be much appreciated.

Hope to perhaps get together for some training in the New Year though I plan to start my schedule in early December.

Alex

POSTED: 8/20/09 12:52 PM

A resort map of Lake Placid that shows a few of the hotels is available at:
http://www.resortmaps.com/New%20York/Map-of-Lake-Placid

Call a few of the hotels and get on their wait list. There are always cancellations as we approach the race. But beware, most hotels require a 5-7 night minimum and prices are “adjusted” for the Ironman!

Staying in downtown is every convenient. In 2007, I parked my car on Thursday and did not use it again until Monday to go to the Award Luncheon. Stores, bars, restaurants, etc. are all right outside the front door of the hotel. The Expo, Mirror Lake, and the transition area are only a couple blocks away. Parking in town can be tough if you stay outside of town and the streets were packed all week. There are other options in the surrounding areas (e.g., Saranac Lake, Wilmington).

asmith    JOINED: 8/4/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/21/09 5:45 PM

I'm new to the club, but I also signed up and I'm looking for others to train with, so please let me know of any if anyone is going on training rides/runs etc.
I'm staying a little bit out of town in Saranac lake, its 8 miles out....but there are still rentals available out there.

Delnora's ravatar Delnora    JOINED: 3/16/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 8/23/09 8:29 PM

Would anyone be interested in getting a house/condo together? In Lake Placid if possible, otherwise maybe at Saranac Lake?

I'll be going up with my husband. Thinking about doing 5 nights.

Let me know!

Delnora

POSTED: 8/24/09 10:35 AM

Just managed to book a room in the Crowne Plazza, it's in Lake Placid and though it's pricey and has a 5 night minimum it does have a reasonable cancellation policy and looks very nice.

Best Western also has rooms available but has a 7 night minimum.

Good luck in finding something.

Also for info. I bought a load of Powerbars (12 bars $7.20) and Powrbar gels (24 for $19.79) from Performance cycles in Rockville, they were very cheap. Useful as this is the nutrition used in the race.

Cheers.

Alex

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 8/24/09 1:21 PM

Just some thoughts for everyone looking for housing for IMLP. I just did LP this year and as I found out, it is much easier for you (and your family) if you stay in LP. I know this is not always possible but if you are looking now, you can probably find something. Check with realtors as well (they are a great option for the whole family) and I found a house doing google searches. It is possible to stay outside (Jay or Wilmington, etc) but please know that race day takes A LOT of coordination and planning to make happen. It is also nice for family and friends to have a place to rest while you are (still) on your bike ride. Thankfully someone in our house had reserved a house from the previous year. It made is so much easier on us (the athletes) as well as all of our families on race day. Something to keep in mind...

POSTED: 8/28/09 1:26 PM

Just saw this house rental on the Lake Placid Forum, sounds ok and in a good location. Here's the link.

http://www.mile141.com/forum/index.php?topic=1242

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 9/04/09 8:23 AM

I've found a few options for housing and am interested in sharing. E-mail me if interested!

POSTED: 7/02/10 3:12 PM

Three weeks from today will all should be in LP! How has everyone's training gone? I have got in a good amount of biking but still experiencing pain when running. And I still suck at swimming! At least it should be cooler than Eagleman!!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria