DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Gulp--New Member--Hello everyone
CREATED: 06/28/13 by LydsRod REPLIES: 18
LydsRod's ravatar LydsRod    JOINED: 6/28/13    POSTS: 28
Gulp--New Member--Hello everyone
POSTED: 6/28/13 7:20 AM

Hi Guys,

New to triathlon. I have been a long time mountain biker, runner, but never a "tri" athlete. This October (Osprey) in MD. will be my first. I have heard so many great things about this club and just love how organized you guys are.

I'm very excited at the prospect of training for a sprint tri this year and for next year...well, I hope the sky's the limit.

Lyds

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
RE: Gulp--New Member--Hello everyone
POSTED: 6/28/13 8:56 AM

Lyds,

Given your distance goal, you might check out the club's first training sprint tri of the year on July 7, listed at the top of the website. Excellent chance at training for a sprint and at meeting a big bunch of your new members.

E

POSTED: 6/28/13 8:56 AM

Lyds,

Given your distance goal, you might check out the club's first training sprint tri of the year on July 7, listed at the top of the website. Excellent chance at training for a sprint and at meeting a big bunch of your new members.

E

POSTED: 6/28/13 9:03 AM

Hello E,

Thanks for the information. I just checked it out, do you know how deep the water is by any chance?

Lyds

POSTED: 6/28/13 9:07 AM

Over your head, if that's what you mean. Wetsuits may or may not be allowed, depending on the temps. I'm sure there'll be kayak & paddle board support.

POSTED: 6/28/13 9:22 AM

Gotcha. Thanks so much for the info.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1262
POSTED: 6/28/13 9:34 AM

How deep is the water!?!

Oh ... you're one of THOSE swimmers :)

There are a lot of pure runners/cyclists in DCTri who fall into that category. I may or may not be one of them ;)

--Tuan

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1262
POSTED: 6/28/13 9:38 AM

Oops, where are my manners.

Forgot to do an utterly shameless plug for PeasantMan. Of the 250 people who did it last year, 247 were DCTri members, not including another 60+ DCTri volunteers ... something to consider for May 4, 2014. No other event on the planet attracts more DCTri.

--Tuan

POSTED: 6/28/13 9:53 AM

hahahahahahaha! Yes, I am one of those swimmers :)

P.S. to Tuan who may or may not fall into the category of "how deep is the water", thanks for the info on PeasantMan. Next year, my goal is to do at least 3-4 sprints, 2-Olympics, and dream about a half. We'll see. Seems like a dream right now.

Dagnabit those Kona Triathlon hour long shows that makes you cry for that person who nearly died but crossed the line just in time to be an Ironman!!!! Now I'm all like "I can do that". Argh!

PeasantMan, here I come!

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 398
POSTED: 6/28/13 1:20 PM

Welcome, Lyds!

Be sure to come out to our happy hours and training days and introduce yourself! We're certainly glad to have you as part of the DC Tri Club family!

Best,
Trevor

POSTED: 6/28/13 1:43 PM

Thank you Trevor. I will definitely do that.

Andre's ravatar Andre    JOINED: 4/8/11    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 6/29/13 7:36 AM

Lyds,

I'm no coach but based on my own personal experience, I'd say don't be afraid of doing a long distance tri - if you're dream is to do a Half, you should go ahead and sign up for one.

The first race I signed up for was a Half and everything went just fine. I'm not particularly fit but I trained right made sure I was prepared.

The dirty little secret in long distance Tri is that you get to go A LOT slower in longer distance races. In some ways I consider shorter distance races MORE competitive because you've got a much shorter timeline which results in more pressure to go go go. In longer distance races I'm just trying to finish so I don't feel the need to hammer myself the entire time.

I'm not a great swimmer either. Last year I signed up for a Masters Swim class with DC Tri and that was really helpful.

Best of luck,

Andre

POSTED: 6/29/13 3:19 PM

Andre!
Thank you so much. I appreciate the message. I have to be honest, the swimming thing to me seems the most daunting. Even the masters class seems intimidating with the amount of swimming. But, I'll get there. Thanks for reminding me this is a "fun" thing to do.

Lyds

IronMike's ravatar IronMike    JOINED: 6/11/13    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 7/03/13 9:10 AM

Lyds,

As one of the MSP coaches, I can assure you we will work with you to get you more comfortable in the water. Don't worry about the distances. We can adjust to what you're capable of doing. As long as you work hard, we'll work hard to get you up to speed.

I would suggest after you're comfortable swimming in the pool workouts that you take advantage of some of the open water sessions. OW is different from pool swimming and some folks get very anxious when caught in the washing machine at the start. It is better to get rid of the jitters among friends and smaller groups before your first race.

I would NEVER recommend that a triathlete's first time in OW be during their first race. BAD! ;)

Good luck, and hope to see you in the MSP soon!

Cheers,
IronMike

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
POSTED: 7/03/13 9:30 AM

Welcome Lyds,

Don't forget, if you are one of those who spends 10 minutes in the shower and thinks that's enough time in the water (like me, I'm even worse than Tuan), there are some duathlons around too! But we do have some amazing coaches in the club who have helped those who were afraid of putting their face in the water complete full IM's.

The club is great, we travel to a fair amount of races as a club and have a good support structure for all abilities. Plus, the area offers a number of resources and group runs/rides/swims, so there really is no excuse for not going for your goals!

Btw, did you know the DC Tri kits actually make you faster and more buoyant? We don't advertise that fact but its well know amongst club members.

Catch up at some point..
Ron

POSTED: 7/03/13 11:41 AM

Thanks IronMike and Ron. I truly appreciate the advice. IronMike, where do you coach? and Ron, I'll have to buy 10 of those DC Tri kits. I'll be ten times faster and 10 times more buoyant :)

Lyds.

IronMike's ravatar IronMike    JOINED: 6/11/13    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 7/03/13 12:01 PM

Lyds,

I'm a new coach in DC Tri's very own Masters Swim Program. Click on PROGRAMS and then Masters Swim Program on the left.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 7/03/13 5:28 PM

Welcome to the club, Lyds!

I'm sort of a triathlete turned mountain biker 'wannabe.' Trust me, MTBing is much scarier than swimming in open water. So as a mountain biker turned triathlete, I think you'll do just fine.

I look forward to having someone new to ride the trails with.

Travis

POSTED: 7/03/13 5:55 PM

Thanks Travis! Funny, I'm a mountain biker too trying to morph into a triathlete. You're right mountain biking can be sketchy, Potapsco being one :)

Let me know if you ever get the hunkering to ride.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria