Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

San Diego or BUST...
CREATED: 05/06/12 by rtroll REPLIES: 5
rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
San Diego or BUST...
POSTED: 5/06/12 9:58 PM

The bikes from more than 40 DC Tri Club members are loaded and have begun their journey across the US.

Follow the road to ITU San Diego:

Blog: http://sandiegoorbust2012.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ITUWTSSANDIEGO

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/WTS_SanDiego

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: San Diego or BUST...
POSTED: 5/12/12 11:12 PM

http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResults.xhtml?racecode=101904
In case anybody's looking for the results list.

But we've not heard anything from folks out in SD. Overall times look like the course was killer. Anyone want to report?

Jason

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 5/13/12 6:58 AM

They're too busy partying it up (as evidenced by all the pictures of their shenanigans being posted on the Facebook page).

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 5/13/12 1:08 PM

DCT won the world ITU division two title, or something. 18 percent climb x 2, + potholes in descents, unique among triathlon bike legs; varying views on swim: some bothered by current, others cruised; gorgeous run along the bay...Rookie buds Jule Miata & Amanda Bauer had strong races; vet Luke Holman too, among many others...Luigi's post-race dinner was apparently catered by the organizers of the Hot Chocolate run; Catherine Myung's parents put on a much better bbq...Many clubbers partied or hot-tubbed til late last night, and are surfing this morning after Mexican burrito breakfasts...The club's FB site has nice pix.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 5/13/12 2:04 PM

The swim was a beach start and had some current but the course was nicely marked and sighting was easy. If you read the currents right then it was not a big deal, but if you didn't that could have made your life a bit miserable.

The bike was definitely the heart and soul of this race. The roads through the city were not in very good conditions (I've never seen so many water bottles, GUs, saddle bags, etc on a course) and the course had many turns and got a bit crowded at some parts. And the hills were a challenge thanks to Mount Soledad, which had us climbing more than 600 feet over a 2-mile section of the course, and we had to do it twice. It was hard but really beautiful views.

The run was an easy totally flat course mostly through a park and by the beach.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 330
POSTED: 5/13/12 10:10 PM

DC Triathlon Club is now WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
We won the Division 2 Club World Championship!
It was a great weekend in San Diego!

The swim in Mission Bay was nice. Cool salt water... a change of pace from the rivers I'm used to racing in. The large USAT bouys made it fairly easy to sight, particularly with the morning overcast that prevented the usual glare. A bit much seaweed at the end, but otherwise a great swim.

Ballstoncyclist is right... the bike was the heart and soul of this course. A 2.5 mile or so climb, with a particularly rough 0.6 mile stretch with an 18% grade climb... that we did twice. In the middle of the climb, there was a tent with people yelling "Hammer Til It Hurts!" The climb was followed by a gradual section of about a half mile, then another short steep climb of 300m or so. Then a LONG steep descent that still gives me nightmares (I saw Jeff from USAT afterwards and told him I've never prayed more during a bike ride in my entire life). On the 2nd descent, I ran right over a traffic cone... yet somehow I stayed upright... PTL! Road conditions were terrible in several stretches... San Diego really needs to repave these roads. Fortunately I didn't see anyone go down. Needless to say, bike times were several minutes slower than normal, due to the rough conditions.

The run was great! Flat, fast, and gorgeous views of the beach A bit warm at the end, but to be expected. Not having mile markers was a huge drawback. Otherwise, great volunteer support the whole way... plenty of water stops, and a GU/Gatorade stop at the 1.5mi & 4.5mi stop.

At the awards ceremony, they recognized several challenged athletes and a 90-year old man who completed the race... pretty incredible, as this course was a really tough one for us able-bodied young athletes. Those folks are a real inspiration... I hope I'm alive at 90, let alone getting around, completing races, and climbing 18% grade hills!

It was awesome to see the womens' Olympic qualifier on Friday and the mens qualifier on Saturday. I got to meet US Olympian Gwen Jorgensen on Saturday, and a few people also met Macca. We all got free t-shirts at the Sand Bar post-race party from Ignis Triathlon. Their goal is to become the Billabong of triathlon. Check them out here:
https://www.facebook.com/ignistri/info

Salue!
-Luke

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria