Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

USAT Announces 2012 National Championships!
CREATED: 11/09/11 by Luke REPLIES: 16
Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 330
USAT Announces 2012 National Championships!
POSTED: 11/09/11 6:45 PM

The USAT just announced the 2012 National Championship schedule:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/news/articles/2011/11/110911-2012-events.aspx

Highlights include:
June 3 - Long Course Duathlon Nationals - Cambridge, MD
May 12-13 - Club Nationals - San Diego, CA
August 18-19 - Age-Group & Sprint Triathlon Nationals - Burlington, VT

Looks like a lot of exciting races!!!

-Luke

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 217
RE: USAT Announces 2012 National Championships!
POSTED: 11/09/11 10:23 PM

I don't know if that USAT page has been updated since it was first posted, but it now says "TBA" for Club Nationals. The Board had also heard that Club Nationals might not actually be in San Diego. We'll let you know when we find out more info.

Kevin

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 11/10/11 8:34 AM

Im not sure I hate myself enough to do a long course duathlon in Cambridge in the middle of summer, but that is tempting.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 11/10/11 9:31 AM

Looks like they pulled the old okey doke on us as far as the National Club Championship!

Was curious what the deal was, so emailed USAT and here's what I heard back from their National Events Coordinator...

As today's press release stated, the Club National Championship is still TBA. Please be sure to wait for the official announcement from USA Triathlon indicating when and where it will be held.

Regional Club Championships will be announced depending on when your region has their decision made and is ready to announce them. This should be by the end of the year. If you have additional questions, feel free to let me know.

-Brady

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 11/10/11 9:51 AM

Oh phew.... they're going to announce the regionals by the end of the year? I was worried we wouldn't get enough advanced announcement to put the race into our schedules.

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 11/10/11 2:27 PM

Word on the street is Club Nationals are actually at Oklahoma City in September. The race in San Diego just has a club competition.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 11/10/11 3:45 PM

Cool. Who wants to go to boring old San Diego anyway when we could be living it up in Oklahoma City instead?

POSTED: 11/10/11 4:06 PM

The week after Myrtle Beach, the USAT posted an article on their website announcing the 2012 club nationals would be at the ITU San Diego triathlon May 12-13. Now that article is conspicuously missing... and the club championships are listed as TBD. Not sure what's going on...

-Luke

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 11/10/11 4:32 PM

The ITU San Diego still lists the race as the 2012 National Club Championship. Though that will probably change soon given the other changing circumstances.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 11/11/11 1:15 PM

I wrote to my USAT contacts to ask about the Regional and National Club Championships for 2012, and this is very confusing, but I was told that the "actual" Club National Championships will be raced at Redman in Oklahoma City in September, and the San Diego ITU thing is NOT the same thing.

As I said, it is very confusing, and the reason I haven't posted anything is because Redman hasn't set a date yet... I will post more into as I get it, I promise!

POSTED: 12/11/11 4:33 PM

I just posted about the potential FREE bike shipping to the ITU San Diego race, paid for by USAT...

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=2F07FBDF-F672-2717-9E8F63419752527D

Please post there if you're interested!

Thanks,
Kevin

POSTED: 12/13/11 8:21 PM

Just announced: "The 2012 USA Triathlon Club National Championship will be held in conjunction with Long Course Nationals at the Sept. 22, 2012, Redman Triathlon in Oklahoma City, Okla. Registration is now open at redmantriathlon.com."

More information here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/news/articles/2011/12/121211-national-events.aspx

(Sorry for the cross-posting.)

wmichaeljones's ravatar wmichaeljones    JOINED: 1/12/11    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 12/14/11 8:40 AM

Any idea when registration for Age Group Nationals will come online? Can't seem to find an official website for the event, only the press release announcing it. Also, does anyone have a sense of how quickly registration will fill up once it opens? Thanks!

POSTED: 12/14/11 12:51 PM

Here's the website for AG Nationals:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/events/usat/2012/08/age-group-national-championship.aspx

A lot of it won't get updated until later in 2012, but since it's in Burlington again most of the info won't change much.

Registration opens January 12. In 2011 they had 1500 spots and sold out in July, but then added 500 more spots and I don't know if those ended up selling out. My guess is that they will keep the race in the 2000-2500 size range, but since it is more popular each year I assume it will sell out earlier than last year. Probably no chance it will sell out before May though, especially since you need a qualifying race and many people will qualify in May/June/July.

Kevin

POSTED: 12/14/11 1:36 PM

I'll echo what Kevin said, as I've done this race the past two years. In 2009, it was in late September in Tuscaloosa, AL, and the race filled up in mid-late August. Last year, it was in mid-August in Burlington, VT, and it filled up crazy early in July, but then the USAT added more slots a few weeks later. I'm guessing this year they will probably start with a larger field than they started with last year, but I wouldn't necessarily count on them adding spots again. If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably fill up sometime in July (meaning qualifying at DC Tri and Philly Tri should give you enough time to register)... but nothing is ever guaranteed (as we've seen with how quickly the Boston & Marine Corps Marathons have filled recently!)

I would try to qualify as soon as reasonably possible for three reasons: 1) you can register earlier and not have to worry about it selling out, 2) you can save money by booking plane tix earlier, if you plan to fly instead of drive, and 3) it's typically easier to qualify at races earlier in the year (April & May), when the field tends to be comparably weaker, as most people are young into their racing season. If you really want to get a jump on the crowd, find a small race in late March/early April (which will probably be a pool swim)... just make sure it's USAT certified (it should say somewhere on the website... if not, email the race director before registerring), because a race needs to be USAT certified in order to be able to count as an Age-Group Nationals qualifier (and unlike marathons which are almost all official Boston qualifiers, several smaller races don't bother to get certified).

Either way, you should definitely go, as it's a blast. Plus there's also a Sprint race the following day that you doesn't require qualifying times.

-Luke

wmichaeljones's ravatar wmichaeljones    JOINED: 1/12/11    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 12/14/11 1:36 PM

Thank you for the info, Kevin! Very helpful. Excellent point that it won't sell out early because most people still need a qualifying race. Guess we lucked out having Nation's as our qualifier!

POSTED: 1/14/12 4:58 PM

News from Thursday: Age Group Nationals (and Sprint Nationals) are now open.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/01/news/usat-national-championship-registration-opens-today_46057

USAT says the field (for AG Nationals at least) will be limited to 2000.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria