Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

North East Tri
CREATED: 06/22/11 by skarpers REPLIES: 17
skarpers's ravatar skarpers    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 31
North East Tri
POSTED: 6/22/11 9:48 AM

I just registered for the North East Tri (oly distance). Just wondering if anyone else is doing this one?

http://northeasttri.cgiracing.com/

Also I live over my the eastern market metro if anyone wants to meet up for morning runs.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
RE: North East Tri
POSTED: 6/22/11 1:47 PM

I've done it and it was ok. Book a hotel now as there are not many in the area. When I did it - it was the year of the Mid-Atlantic club championships so the club was well represented. The swim and bike course were fine. The run course was out and back on a non-tree covered road open to traffic. It was hot and the dead deer I had to see 2xs on the side of the road as the crows picked it apart was gross. Rural tri hazard I suppose.

appleseed's ravatar appleseed    JOINED: 11/5/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 8/10/11 8:03 PM

I decided last minute to do this race to defend my title ;-). Anyone want to split gas or possibly cost of accommodation?

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 8/11/11 11:54 AM

I signed up for the Olympic distance and as usual am dreadfully under trained.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 368
POSTED: 6/12/13 11:16 AM

USAT announced that North East Triathlon will be the 2014 Mid-Atlantic Club Championship!

I'm reviving this thread to drum up this announcement and to see if anyone is planning on racing it this year? Oly and Sprint are Sunday August 25th.

It'd be great to get familiar with a race you plan to do next year right!?!

And sounds like you'll want to book your hotel rooms early if you don't want to drive the ~1 hr 40 min from DC.

Cheers,
- Adam

POSTED: 6/12/13 11:36 AM

The run course sucks - out and back on a road with no shade. The only "scenic" part about the run was the dead deer on the side of the road that the buzzards were mauling. Gross.

POSTED: 6/12/13 12:12 PM

Is it possible to say anything truely good about this race? I doubt that the deer is still there.
Organized well? How was the swim? Rolling roads for the bike? Was the run fast?

Anyone else that's done this race care to chime in?

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 197
POSTED: 6/12/13 12:20 PM

Goodness I hope the poor deer isn't still there.

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 6/12/13 12:44 PM

The year that this was the club champs, I did the Luray Oly on Saturday morning and then drove over to North East, did packet pickup and Sunday morning did the NorthEast Oly. All thanks to being unable to turn down a triple dog dare.

The swim will be warm. I can pretty much guarantee that it will not be wetsuit legal. It's not a bad swim. Straight out, right turn for a short leg and then right turn and straight back to shore. Easy to sight. But it's near a marina and there are lots of exhaust fumes on the water. There's a long run to transition from the swim exit, but it's over grass. The bike is rolling and fast. The part through Elk Neck State park was shaded and nice, but other than that, it's not that scenic. The run sucks for scenery. It's an out and back on shoulder of the highway that's open to traffic and is basically unshaded. But it's relatively flat and it's fast. Maybe there will be some cute guys and girls in the cars to improve the scenery on the run. Overall, I wouldn't say it's a scenic course, but it's definitely one for speed.

The town of North East though is very nice and quaint. There are quite a few hotels near 95 which is like a 5 minute drive from the race site. There are lots of good ice cream stores in the town too. That's bonus.

ANd maybe we'll get a new deer on the road next year. :)

POSTED: 6/12/13 1:59 PM

Yes, I'd prefer the deer to be alive, thank you.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 6/12/13 2:08 PM

What about a live deer mauling a dead deer? That could be "scenic". :::^)::

As for organization of the race, back when Larry and Michelle Redrow ran the race through CGI Racing, I thought it was incredibly well run and everything went smoothly. But they have since sold the race to Piranha Sports. I've never raced any of their events, but by reputation, they always seem to put on great events that run smoothly. So I imagine the race is still run smoothly and well.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 6/13/13 6:54 AM

These were my quick notes on the course from 2009:

Great swim conditions – flat, no waves. Too warm (85.4) for wetsuits, and no one in recent memory could remember ever being able to use one there. Buoys well placed to measure progress.

Bike was challenging, but not overwhelming – this wasn’t Columbia. Still hilly, but not bad.

Run was hot, hot, hot. Rolling hills, blazing sun with no shade, but plenty of aid stations. A shame they can’t move us across the road to run on the shady side of the street.

POSTED: 9/20/13 2:18 PM

North East Triathlon 2014, the "USAT Mid-Atlantic Region Club Championship Site - International Distance Only" is open for registration now. Grand Opening Prices are listed at $70 for the International Distance. But hurry as it is limited to the first 50 people who register.
FMI
I'm in. Anyone else?
- Adam

PS Bryan, Luray is the weekend before so you're in the clear.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 9/20/13 3:34 PM

I'm in.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1051
POSTED: 9/20/13 4:23 PM

IN.

The registration insurance is a pretty cool option for those who aren't always sure of their weekend schedules.

POSTED: 12/29/13 9:33 PM

Wanted to BUMP this since there's about to be some price jumping...
Currently, I see 8 club members IN according to the RACE section of the club web page and 7 club members IN according to piranha-sports.com. Who registered as non-DC Tri??

$140.00 12/31/2013 (Tue) Holiday Special
$145.00 01/31/2014 (Fri) New Years Resolution

http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race300.aspx
- Adam

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 141
POSTED: 12/30/13 10:19 AM

in.
thanks for the reminder of the price increase.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 240
POSTED: 12/31/13 11:14 AM

This was my first ever oly a few years back and I've raced it 3 or 4 times (missed last year bc of IMMT).

The swim is great, IMHO. It's never been wet suit legal in the years I've raced.

The bike is rolling. If you ride in Potomac/Poolesville you won't have any problems. I think it's a gorgeous bike course. Some wooded areas, some open roads. Nothing terribly technical.

The run is out and back on a highway. There are rolling hills. No shade. And a bit of a pitch to the road.

The post race food leaves a lot to be desired.

i'd receommend eating in Havre de Grace (?) the night before or for brunch on your way home.

I'd agree about getting a hotel soon, not much to choose from but there's a HI Express up the road that's pretty convenient.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria