This sounds so fun!
I'll email with my details for parking permits.
Count me in!
Hey all, just talked over details for Saturday's OWS with Joanne:
1) This is going to be a lot of fun! During the swim and after at breakfast... Annapolis is a lot of fun this time of year.
2) I'm going to do my own OWS this afternoon and will pass along water conditions.
3) I've asked for cell numbers from those that did not give them to me. Need them by tonight so I can have base security make those passes in the morning.
4) Plan on driving to the swim start (I'll pass google maps directions), then heading to an athletic complex to shower, then to breakfast. We're leaning towards a place called Pussers on the water and on the city dock. It'll all be on the map I pass tomorrow.
5) I'll lay out the distances involved in the swim. I have a 1.2 and 2.4 mile loop...so over to you to look at it and turn around at the appropriate point.
6) Please note that this is not an official Navy or USNA event...this is me offering to coordinate your entry onto the Yard to do a little swim. The Navy gate guards won't know where to point you if you ask "where's the OWS". That said, this swim is at your own risk.
Let me know what other questions you all have!
Sorry for the late message...can folks still join this swim? Thanks!
Yes! Send your name and phone number to either Mark or me by tonight (8/28) so Mark can get base security to create a pass for you in the morning.
Mark, you are awesome for putting all of this together! High 5 man.
Anyone have any extra seats for the ride to the OWS???
Looking for an extra seat for a ride there!
(Sounds like a great event, with great weather forecast. Always nice to have a nice OWS!)
Details for OWS tomorrow 30 AUG:
Here's a link to the Google Map https://goo.gl/maps/Cscct
Destination: 247 King George St, Annapolis...this is the 15min lot at the USNA visitor center. Do not proceed to the main gate!! Pick up your parking pass from me in the parking lot (I'll be wearing a DC Tri jersey just to be recognizable... Then proceed through the main gate and follow your GPS to Osborne Road, along Ramsey Rd per the map. The beach area is just under the big ass white satellite dish...can't miss it.
Time: I'll be ready to give parking passes out at 0815. Would like everyone to be through the gate by 0830. That means a 0845 swim start.
Swim conditions: I swam 2.4mi yesterday SE along the sea walls, to the harbor and back. Water is about 76-80deg, 3' of visibility under water, clean to the taste. I wore a wetsuit, but not required.
Distances: 0.6mi from the beach area, SE along the sea wall, across College Creek, to the Sims Rd sea wall. I intend to swim 1.2mi, which is there and back.
Post swim: remain the beach area until everyone's done, then drive to the USNA pool to shower/dress. 52 King George St looks like the GPS address for the Lejeune Pool. Park anyway around the building and I'll show the crowd where men/womens locker rooms are. Bring shower shoes and towel if you intend to shower.
Post shower: We'll leave cars on the Yard and walk out to Pussers, which is at the Marriott and on the City Dock. Good outdoor eating and I've checked that they have room for us (Pusser's at 80 Compromise Street)
I'll have parking passes for the following:
If you're name's not listed, I didn't get your info in time. Sorry! You'll have to pile into someone elses car.
My cell is 757-348-8451. Please don't hesitate to call with questions/issues. If you are going to be late tomorrow, let me know and I'll deal with it as best as I can.
Oh...don't forget BRIGHT COLOR SWIM CAPS please. There are only a few boats out in the river at that time of day, but I don't want anyone run over.
Looking for a ride to the OWS?
* Dwight Van Winkle and his wife have two spaces available in their car, leaving from Arlington. They're staying in Annapolis until 2 or 3pm... Contact Dwight directly at: dwightvanwinkle_at_cluemail_dot_com
* I have up to three spaces in my car, leaving from Capitol Hill at 6:30am (we'll be taking the long way 'round, testing the route for a future bike ride to Annapolis) with a metro station drop off at New Carrollton or Franconia-Springfield on the way back. It's not ideal...but it's a ride if you need one. I can be reached at (email@example.com || Joanne Neukirchen).
Trying to hop on the cap hill ride to OWS tomorrow but the email I sent got returned. Joanne, can you message me at firstname.lastname@example.org?
That was a special treat & useful training, swimming in a river inlet of the Naval Academy! Thanks much for organizing, Mark and Joanne!!
Definitely fab! Thx