Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2011 Sea Gull Century
CREATED: 08/17/11 by PamS REPLIES: 8
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 345
2011 Sea Gull Century
POSTED: 8/17/11 9:58 AM

I’m going to register for this Century on Sat Oct 15. I’m thinking about going Fri- Sun. Let me know if anyone is interested in carpooling/splitting a room.

They have 2 rides, the Assateague Century Ride and the Snow Hill Century Ride. Any recommendations? I’m training for IMFL so flatter is better.

Pam

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
RE: 2011 Sea Gull Century
POSTED: 8/17/11 10:31 AM

Hi Pam -

I registered a while back - I am staying at the overly price inflated Chesapeake Hyatt (Fri-Sun). Unfortunately, I can't share a room becuase I am taking my daughter, and another mom and her daughter so they can enjoy the hotel amenities while I slog through Maryland. I signed up for the Assateague Ride. I would enjoy some company on the ride if you are so inclined. I have a couple friends riding as well, one the century, one the metric century. I'll wear my DC Tri duds for the ride. This is my first century.

Maureen
(clarebearcolburn@yahoo.com)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 8/17/11 11:03 AM

Pam,

Talk to Amanda Chadwick. Last year when we did Ironman Vietnam on the Eagleman course, I think she did some women's only charity ride on the same day on a course that crossed paths with the Eagleman and Cheasapeakman course. We even rode by one of their water stations and some of their riders.

It wasn't 100 miles (I think 75-ish), but you can turn it into 100+ by extending the ride. There are plenty of straight and safe roads to that in that neck of the woods. It didn't look like it was as heavily supported as the Reston Century, but the air temperature, road conditions, and wind are pretty close to IMFL.

Another option is the St. Michael's Century. I've never done it because it always fell on the day that was bad for me. However, it was one of the century rides that was recommended to me when I was asking around among the folks who had done IMFL previously. It's supposed to be very flat with IMFL-like wind.

http://www.active.com/cycling/st-michaels-md/st-michaels-historic-century-2011

Tuan

POSTED: 8/17/11 4:04 PM

Ok, just signed up for Assateague. I'll be riding 16-18mph.

Maureen-
If that pace works for you let me know and we can coordinate when we get a little closer.

Tuan-
Thanks for the info!

gswiszcza's ravatar gswiszcza    JOINED: 1/27/10    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 8/17/11 4:39 PM

I did the Assateague course last year and had a great time. Flat as a pancake with lots of wind. When we got on the island we had to stop for a few minutes for the horses to finish crossing the road. They had rest stops appx every 25 miles, which I thought was perfect. We drove out and back the same day, so the only down side was having the long ride back to town when you'd rather be passed out somewhere.

Gretchen

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 8/18/11 11:59 AM

16-18 mph sounds good - unless the wind kicks in and slows my butt down. My Tri coach put together a ride schedule and I ride usually Sat mornings (early). You are training for an Ironman so my little ride schedule might not jive with your riding, but let me know if you ever want to meet up. I tend to ride close to home due to logistic and timing issues with family life so W&OD is a favorite with meet up in Shirlington at trail head or Caribou Coffee in the Village there.

clarebearcolburn@yahoo.com

Next Sat the 3rd I have 45 mile ride followed by 45 min run.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 8/18/11 2:17 PM

The Assateague route that goes to the "wild horses" island of Assateague, with a big rest stop there next to the beach, is the popular option.

The difficulty of the ride, which is totally flat, depends completely on the weather. Last year, fine. Two years ago, tremendous head wind on the return from Assateague. I think four years ago, idyllic. Maybe five years ago, storm water up to your knees.

I'm signed up, and up for carpooling and room sharing.

rmolina's ravatar rmolina    JOINED: 8/22/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 8/18/11 8:35 PM

Just wanted to add myself to the list as this will be my first century and would definitely be interested in meeting up with everyone. 16 to 18 MPH pace sounds good to me

Renato
(rrmolina2@gmail.com)

POSTED: 8/19/11 11:43 AM

If anyone is still looking for a room in Salisbury call Motel 6 (on the Sea Gull website as Super 8). It's the last hotel with availability for fri and sat with double beds.

I think the Best Western, Sleep Inn, Chesapeake Inn (they may actually have doubles) and Economy Inn only have kings left. Oh and the Best Value Inn still has their Honeymoon Suite available, $179/night, round King bed ;)

I didn't talk to anyone at the Temple Hill Motel or Country Inn & Suites or look into the Rooms for the Environment/homestays so they may have availability.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria