Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

diamond in the rough
CREATED: 12/30/09 by ashleynellis1 REPLIES: 2
ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
diamond in the rough
POSTED: 12/30/09 5:24 PM

anyone have any positive/negative reviews of this race? i just signed up for it and am wondering what i've gotten myself into (aside from the noted 7% climb at mile 22 of the bike). thanks!

JustinNunez    JOINED: 12/30/09    POSTS: 26
RE: diamond in the rough
POSTED: 12/30/09 6:16 PM

I did this race last year as my intro to triathlon and I enjoyed it. The race itself is fairly small and low key but all in all it was a good experience. Perfect for me as a newbie.

The run from the swim to T1 is a bit disorienting because you have to trek up a bunch of stairs and then jog a little way to T1 but it's a nice change of pace. Last year we were able to wear wetsuits although it seems like each year the water temp teeters on the fine line between wetsuit legal and not legal.

I didn't think the hill at mile 22 was as bad as advertised although it does trick you by plateauing to make you think it's over but then you have to climb again. The tricky part was the nonstop false flats and mini rollers that confused my inexperienced legs.

The race itself was very organized and I'm hoping to do it again next year as well. I wouldn't recommend it as an A race or one that everyone MUST experience but it's still great considering the cost and location.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
RE: diamond in the rough
POSTED: 12/30/09 9:09 PM

Ashley, you'll love it! The bike course contains technical descents, really pretty scenery, and that one climb (which is fine). The run is pretty flat, out and back - I just remember one small hill on grass.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria