Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Steelhead 70.3 7/31
CREATED: 07/19/10 by keepingitawesome REPLIES: 1
keepingitawesome's ravatar keepingitawesome    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 19
Steelhead 70.3 7/31
POSTED: 7/19/10 2:55 PM

Anyone doing Steelhead in Michigan on July 31st?

Has anyone done this race before? This will be my first half...so any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
RE: Steelhead 70.3 7/31
POSTED: 7/19/10 4:53 PM

Hey, I'm doing Steelhead!!!

I did it last year and overall it's a great course. The water was calm and temp was perfect - wetuit legal. it's pretty shallow too and it's probably the cleanest lake I've been in. Bike is mostly flat and fast. However Just a few things to keep an eye out for:

1) Last year, the last 20 miles of the bike had a vicious headwind coming off the lake!
2) Being typical michigan roads, they have been battered by their brutal winters so keep a close eye for potholes.
3) You have to be prepared for the run - one huge, long hill straight out of the gates (this is a nice downhill to the finish though). Then two more steep but short hills on the run (same hill, but course is 2 loops).

Spectatorship is rather low so the run is a bit quiet. I expect it would be a good 5-10 degrees cooler up there, possibly more.

Good luck!!! email me at floraarabo at hotmail dot com if you have more specific q's.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria