Hello folks. Brad and I and possibly 2-3 confirmed people will endeavor to race Ironman Hawaii 70.3 at Kohala Coast, Hawai'i on Saturday, June 1, 2013
We are checking to see if folks wish join this journey. We know that resource-wise and conceptually this is a challenge for any adventurer. As such, we are not realistically expecting a large group. I am hoping, and Brad has experienced, that the journey is well worth the reward, and are opening it to like-minded people. If you feel the spirit of the islands calling to you, let us know and we'll try to coordinate. Email myself or Brad. We're planning on coordinating the trip together, and with possibly looking at condos and early airplane tickets on to lessen the cost.
What is the benefit of doing this race?
It is on the Big Island near Kona, so we get to race near / on the Ironman course ("The scenic route follows the northern half of the famous Ironman World Championship bike course on the legendary Queen Ka’ahumanu Highway up to Hawi and back").
It's different - on the race website, there aren't any triathlon pictures in the main photos :]
Prime swim, bike, and run training grounds for upcoming Ironman races or whatevs. Even Romney and his Tea Party might approve since Hawaii is a state and not a foreign country. Sorry, no returning Lance Armstrong as last year's champion. Thank you for reading and please let us know if you wish to join the expedition.
Here's why you should do this race:
1. You'll never experience the same combination of challenges, in terms of high-level participants and environment anywhere else, short of competing at Kona itself.
2. That said, this is a laid-back race - the pro's/elites use it as a training-test bed and while everyone is there to swim, bike, and run - VERY FAST...it's just kind of hard to be all type-A anal on a June morning in Hawaii...good karma abounds at this race. For many of us DC/NOVA types this is what is known as a "pleasant chance of pace".
3. You'll never have a nicer open-water swim experience and let's be honest here...aren't you tired of swimming in the Potomac?
4. Flying down the side of a volcano at 40mph on your bike is fun!
5. Running down the annoying guy in front of you during a triathlon is fun. In Hawaii, you'll do it while cruising down the middle of a PGA-level golf fairway...VERY cool.
6. LAVA - embrace it!
7. Unreal levels of race organization
8. Drink really good beer at the end of the race
9. The day-after post-race recovery swim in the Pacific Ocean takes on a whole new level of satisfaction.
10. Visiting Hawaii is just like going abroad, but without the international cell or data plan roaming rates.
11. Hawaii is safe..."FIVE-OH" was invented here, and 75% of the U.S. Navy's Pacific Fleet calls the place "home".
12. Mango smoothies have a whole new level of tastiness in Hawaii and the coffee...folks, it's just better
13. You're likely to accumulate enough photos to satisfy your facebook posting requirements for the remainder of the year.
14. Did I mention the really good beer at the end of the race?
Yes this is a huge commitment of time, effort, and benjamins. Is it worth it? Absolutely!!
Non-racing sherpas or those who could just use a little dose of the Islands welcome too!
We're making initial pushes for lodging and flights, and confirming folks in the group. If you are interested in possibly joining, let us know and we'll add you to the FB group where we're adding the information. Thanks.