DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Specialized Shiv Deal For DCTri Club
CREATED: 09/23/13 by bwinterroth REPLIES: 16
bwinterroth's ravatar bwinterroth    JOINED: 5/12/11    POSTS: 66
Specialized Shiv Deal For DCTri Club
POSTED: 9/23/13 5:44 PM

DC Tri Club,

As a Specialized employee and DC Tri member, I have been working diligently to form partnerships with elite triathlon clubs around the country. Since DC Tri holds a special place in my heart, I am hoping to roll out a partnership that would allow every DC Tri Club Member the opportunity to buy a 2013 Shiv bike at a special partnership price. As part of this partnership experience, Specialized will include a range of bonus products with your Shiv purchase (depending on Shiv model), including S-works Trivent Shoes, Trivent Expert Shoes, and our brand new Fuelcell accessory.

I am currently working with Ryan Troll on the partnership details, but I wanted to hear some initial thoughts from our current club members.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ben

Nicole's ravatar Nicole    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 63
RE: Specialized Shiv Deal For DCTri Club
POSTED: 9/23/13 7:52 PM

This is awesome news. My little brother is in a tri club in the Midwest that has a partnership with Specialized, and I have been so jealous! Hope it works out.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 398
POSTED: 9/24/13 10:50 AM

Though I'll say I am a bit impartial, I think this would be a GREAT partnership.

Specialized has made a BIG push to cater to triathletes with tri-specific products. They are a very innovative company that I feel gets a lot of feedback from their athletes and integrates it into their products.

Specifically, the Shiv has the Fuelcell for storage, the Fuelselage Integrated Hydration System (essentially a Camelbak that slides into the down tube), and the Sitero saddle, similar to an Adamo aftermarket ones. Clearly this is a change from the past where triathletes were having to get these type of products aftermarket.

I upgraded from a Transition to the Shiv this past March and have been VERY happy with the purchase. I'm not one to generally praise a company, as my thought is to always buy the best product rather than the most popular, but it's clear that Specialized delivers on their products. Yes, I realize other companies are as well, but not sure that it is to the extend Specialized is doing - developing a bike that is UCI-illegal for triathletes only was a big risk for them.

-Brady

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 398
POSTED: 9/24/13 11:48 AM

I've been heavily considering a SHIV. This peaks my interest!
Trevor

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 9/24/13 1:01 PM

I've been thinking seriously about getting a Shiv as well, I'd be interested for sure. Keep us posted.

POSTED: 9/24/13 1:54 PM

Great feedback, Brady. I know you have been an advocate for Specialized products.

From my brief time at the company, I can honestly say that we develop products purely for the benefit of the rider. When it comes to fit, performance (aero / stiffness), and accessories, Specialized provides the entire package from the ground up.

I have been a user of Specialized products well before joining the company, so I am pretty unbiased when I say that my bike performance in triathlon is heavily attributed to the Specialized shoes and bikes, as well as the Body Geometry Fit I received when I purchased my Shiv a couple of years ago. The entire experience is first class.

jberlow's ravatar jberlow    JOINED: 4/16/12    POSTS: 40
POSTED: 9/25/13 9:25 AM

any chance we'd have access to other specialized models? road bikes?

POSTED: 9/25/13 11:37 AM

Initially, the deal will only include the 2013 Shiv Pro Di2, Shiv Expert, Shiv Comp Rival, Shiv Pro Frameset, and the Shiv Elite Apex. As Brady mentioned earlier, these bikes are designed exclusively for triathlon and ignore the UCI rules that limit the aerodynamics of other company's TT bikes. We (Specialized) are the only cycling manufacturer with our own windtunnel, so we are heavily invested in the aerodynamics of our machines. More aero bikes = more triathlon PRs.

I am working to set up a long term partnership with DC Tri, that may open Club deals on most Specialized items. This is something we have never done to this extent with any other tri club in the country, so it may take some time to develop.

-Ben

asidel's ravatar asidel    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 9/25/13 11:51 PM

Very interesting and great news. Definitely interested in learning more.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
POSTED: 10/19/13 11:49 AM

DC Tri -

I am excited to let you know that we are near finalizing a partnership with Specialized that we'll be unveiling at the club's annual event on Nov 16. Don't forget to RSVP for the event of the year that draws over 300 members!

Stay tuned for an exciting announcement soon about a DC Tri/Specialized partnership.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1051
POSTED: 10/19/13 1:42 PM

I hear a great partnership with DC Tri would be to give a certain guy named Travis a free Epic. I'm just spitballing here... I'm sure that I could also think of some other cool promotional ideas centered around that guy Travis.

In all seriousness, using DC Tri to experiment with partnership ideas for Specialized is a pretty incredible opportunity for the club. Thanks for making this happen! I hope everything is going well for you out west.

Cheers,

Travis

POSTED: 10/19/13 5:45 PM

Ryan and I have been working really hard to put this together. The partnership will build on DC Triathlon Club's already fantastic involvement with the DC Metro community. In conjunction with one of our local triathlon retailers, Specialized intends to create an amazing experience for DC Triathlon Club. We plan on social events with our Professional Triathletes, Aero Gurus, and Product Managers, who are responsible for creating our premier Triathlon bikes and equipment.

We also look forward to DC Triathlon Club's input on late-stage product testing for certain pieces of equipment. Whether this be helmets, shoes, or saddles, we believe DC Tri will provide valuable help with our R&D process. As another perk, DC Tri will receive premium access to Specialized's newest products, before they reach the hands of any other athlete.

These mutual benefits are just the tip of the iceberg. Specialized looks forward to rolling out this partnership in the upcoming weeks, so get excited!

-Ben

safbiker    JOINED: 2/14/11    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 10/21/13 11:19 AM

I am looking for a new ride and Shiv is one on my options, so I would be very interested in a club deal...thanks for working on this and look forward to having a deal in place soon.

steve

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
POSTED: 10/22/13 5:54 PM

DC Tri -

Please note that this partnership is not yet solidified. We are now at the stage where we are engaging our local bike shop partner, FreshBikes to assess the feasibility of implementation. There are a lot of moving parts in making any business deal work and we want to ensure we grow new relationships while strengthening others. At this time, please respect this process and do not approach FreshBikes inquiring about the particulars of the deal as they have not been set.

Please feel free to contact me directly at president@dctriclub.org if you have any questions or concerns.

Ryan

SeanPierce's ravatar SeanPierce    JOINED: 1/17/13    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 11/01/13 9:30 AM

Look forward to hearing about this partnership on November 16th! I am already infected with the "I need a new tri bike" bug; this will push me over the edge:)

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 11/18/13 6:54 AM

I wasn't able to make the meeting on Saturday. Were there any details released on this?

MilkWasABadChoice's ravatar MilkWasABadChoice    JOINED: 11/12/13    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 12/03/13 11:28 AM

Anybody heard anything on this? I couldn't make the meeting, and my current bike is a little small for me.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria