Reply To: Bike insurance

Mark Raugust

Also if you buy a new U-lock from a major brand you can also buy bike theft insurance that way. How much coverage you get depends on how nice a lock you buy and there’s a small additional charge. You will need to register for the insurance with proof of purchase for both the bike and lock.  It’s secondary coverage that kicks in after any other relevant renters or home owners insurance, and to file a claim you need to provide both a police report and a piece of the broken lock.  Renters insurance is definitely better I miss having it before I bought a condo because for $15 a month it covered both my bike and smartphone for theft with only a $100 deductible.