Just joined – Silver Spring

Home Forums Open Discussions Introduce Yourself Just joined – Silver Spring

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Drew Penrose
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Drew Penrose. I’ve lived in the DC area for about seven years. Back in 2013, I went from pretty out of shape to pretty in shape, which culminated in me signing up for, and ultimately participating in, the Nation’s Triathlon in 2014. I wrote about the experience here: https://catchtrap.tumblr.com/post/97071141228/duathlon

I really enjoyed it, and I’ve always planned on doing it again, but for various reasons haven’t gotten back to it. This year, I think I’ve decided that I’m going to go for it and do another olympic triathlon. I’m thinking it will be the Patriots triathlon on September 7.

In 2014, I just found a training calendar online and looked up YouTube videos on how to swim. I rode my road bike. This year I’d like to do it better, so I joined this club as step one. I’d like to find someone (a coach?) who can help me improve my swimming and give me some advice on how to either buy a decent racing bike or rent one. Any tips are welcome.

I get the impression that most of the folks in this community are in Virginia. Are there others in the Silver Spring area or thereabouts?

mosered
    Participant

Welcome.

Clubbers live all over the region, with the biggest concentration in DC.

Denis Crean & Anne Whalen McClendon(spell?) are good private swim coaches, as is James Chu & Cat Myung with the club.

You  can rent race bikes at WheelNuts Alexandria. The area bike shops–Big Wheels, Spokes, Contes’s, Trek, etc.–are all good for shopping for bikes. PeasantMan is a good local fun tri for getting back into the sport.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.