parkrun – Free weekly timed 5ks in DMV area

Home Forums Training Run parkrun – Free weekly timed 5ks in DMV area

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mjp396
    Participant

Asking around, it seems a lot of people are unfamiliar with parkrun so thought I’d post.

Parkrun organize free, weekly, timed 5km runs around the world. Parkrun started in Europe and has been gradually growing in the US since the first US parkrun was established in Michigan in 2012. There are now 27 events and living in and around DC we are lucky to have 5 nearby:
    – Fletcher’s Cove, DC (C&O towpath)
    – Roosevelt Island, DC (Trail)
    – Anacostia, DC (Paved)
    – College Park, MD (Paved)
    – Kensington, MD (Paved)

Each event is organized by volunteers and happens every Saturday morning at 9am. There is no sign up for individual events, just register online at http://www.parkrun.us, print out your unique bar code, and bring it with you to any parkrun event. When you finish your bar code is scanned to register your result so no need for timing chips.

Parkrun is an inclusive event and aims to encourage participation. Check out the results page for your local event, you’ll see times from 15 mins to an hour.

I use them for weekend tempo training sessions and it’s a great way to stay motivated over the winter.

John Baird
    Participant

We love these.  Have done 4 of the 5 around DC; my wife and I ran the TR Island 5k Saturday.   Club should consider putting them on the calendar as a recurring event — all five races happen every Saturday at 9 am, year round.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.