Weekday Biking Trippers? Early May and/or Memorial Day Weekend

Home Forums Training Bike Weekday Biking Trippers? Early May and/or Memorial Day Weekend

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    loraheck
    Participant

I’m looking at some time off work the week of May 8th and am planning to do a long ride in Maryland.  I am flexible on day if there are others who would like to join me. I was thinking of doing either the Wegman’s Century course from Frederick to Gettysburg or the Metric Century from Frederick. Both of these routes are part of the Tour de Frederick. The courses are beautiful – through covered bridge country – and the roads are generally in good condition with light traffic. Only variation is that we would start and meet up at Utica District Park, which is convenient to Route 15 and has parking/facilities. I have a car carrier that can hold up to three bikes. I am also willing to organize a weekend ride to this location over Memorial Day Weekend. Of course, shout out to actually do the charity ride, which benefits the Boys and Girls Club of Frederick.

Here are the rides:

Frederick to Gettysburg Century Route (from Tour de Frederick)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20245082

The century ride enjoys gently rolling terrain north of Frederick.  Riders will cross four covered bridges (three in Maryland and one in Pennsylvania), a stone arch bridge and a couple of old wooden bridges, as well as pass through the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park.  Most roads are very lightly traveled and the hill climbs are mostly gentle (as are the descents).  Several miles are spent on a road that used to be an old Native American trail.  The route also takes in the beautiful vistas of northern Frederick County where one can see the mountains in the distance to the west beyond lovely farmland.

Metric Century Route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20245662

The metric ride shares some of its route with the century, but remains in Maryland.  On route, riders will pass through two of Frederick County’s three covered bridges and the Legore stone arch bridge (finished in 1900).  The hills you will encounter are mostly gentle and traffic is typically very light in this section of the county.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.