The DC Tri Club is currently the third largest triathlon club in the nation with over 1000 active members. The New Triathlete Program (NTP) was put together by members of the DC Tri Club back in 2005. The NTP class has over 100 participants every year.
Registration for the 2022 program is now closed. 2023 registration will begin in early 2023!
- Registration Status: 2022 NTP registration has ended. Registration for 2023 will begin in January 2023.
- Class Size: 110
- Price: $200
- NTP Informational Meeting: January 9, 2022,
- NTP Kickoff Meeting: February 27
- NTP Members Only Web Page: Available here
- NTP Forum: Open here, paid participants here
- NTP Facebook Group: Available here
What is NTP all about?
Have you ever dreamed of completing a triathlon but just do not know where to begin? Maybe you have set a New Year’s resolution to get in shape or to try something new? Maybe you are on the lookout for that next challenge in your life? No matter how you ended up here, you are considering attempting your first triathlon, and the DC Triathlon Club’s New Triathlete Program (NTP) is just for you!
The New Triathlete Program (NTP) is a structured training program led by a dedicated group of DC Tri Club volunteers who offer support and guidance to participants as they work toward the ultimate goal of completing their first triathlon. The NTP includes informational clinics to build basic knowledge, a series of group workouts to help develop physical fitness, and social events which help foster camaraderie among program participants. The warm and welcoming environment provided by the NTP offers a truly unique experience as it instills the confidence necessary for those who seek the right to call themselves: triathlete.
While NTP does not provide individualized coaching, it does provide:
- A flexible training schedule designed by a USAT Level I certified coach
- Planned group workouts and activities
- Clinics led by local merchant partners and industry experts
- Weekly newsletters with program updates
- An NTP-specific forum where you can ask questions and get answers from program staff
- A mentorship program linking you to a veteran DC Tri Club member who will help guide you through your journey
- A series of clinics led by local merchant partners, industry experts, and veteran club members. These include:
- triathlon gear clinic
- bike buying clinic
- bike maintenance clinic
- bike handling skills clinic
- run technique clinic
- transition clinic
- nutrition clinic
What is the NTP goal race?
Your ultimate goal will be to cross the finish line of your first triathlon. You will experience the full support and camaraderie of the DC Triathlon Club as your fellow NTPers race alongside you and program staff cheer you on from the side of the course! For 2022, the NTP goal race is…
- Selected Goal Race: Diamond in the Rough
- Race date: Saturday July 9, 2022
- Race distance: both Sprint and Olympic distance race options
- Distance from Washington, DC: ~ 85 miles / 1.5 hours driving time
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the NTP right for me?
- I am new to working out and do not know how to swim, bike or run well. Can I still do this program?
Absolutely! NTP will give you all of the resources you need to complete your first race no matter your athletic background. The training plan and workouts will accommodate everyone from those going from “Couch Potato to Triathlete” as well as anyone who has prior athletic training. You don’t need to “train” to get ready to train, just sign up!
- I do not know how to swim at all. Can I still do this program?
Yes. However, please keep in mind that while we offer swim technique clinics, NTP is not designed to “teach” people how to swim. For more information on our swim specific program please check out the Club’s Masters Swim Program.
- I’ve already done a triathlon, is NTP right for me?
NTP is designed for ‘first-time’ triathletes. If you’ve done a race or two but still feel like you’re “new” to triathlons, NTP may be a good fit. NTP is a great program and a great way to meet people in the club. You have access to a lot of additional resources and clinics that you wouldn’t have access to as a general member of the club, including clinics on bike handling skills, bike maintenance, nutrition, swim technique and open water, strengthening, and stretching. You’ll also have access to mentors, NTP only social events, Olympic and Sprint training plans, and more.
- If you’re looking to get faster at the Olympic distance after completing a few races at that distance you should check out our Olympic Distance Program.
- When does training start?
For 2022, the training program begins on TBD with clinic days and a welcome session prior to the start of the program. 16 weeks distance specific (Olympic or Sprint) training plans start from March 21 for the July 9 goal race.
- When and where are the clinics and group workouts?
Clinics are primarily offered on the weekends. Many of our clinics are hosted at our merchant partners in NoVA, MD and DC. We also post handouts following most clinics so you will still get the information we covered if you miss a clinic. We also meet for workouts at Peirce Mill in Rock Creek Park and, frequently, Hains Point (East Potomac Park).
- I travel a lot for work, will I still be able to participate in NTP?
NTP is structured to give participants a training plan that allows them the flexibility to determine when they are able to workout. There are no mandatory workouts and we encourage NTPers to coordinate their own group workouts.
- How many hours a week will I have to train?
The following times are estimates for the amount of weekly training for each plan:
- Sprint training plan: 1-6 hours per week
- Olympic training plan: 3-8 hours per week
- When do I have to decide which program I want to do? Both of these training programs run concurrently, so you have the option of beginning one program and then adjusting as necessary. It is easier to begin training for the Olympic distance and then drop down to the shorter workouts of the Sprint program if you need to.
- Does the program include Open Water Swim clinics/ practices? We will provide the information of OWS clinics and practices provided by third parties for you to sign up. Typically OWS clinics/practice fees are around $20 per session. NTP registration fee does not include the OWS clinics/ practice fees.
- How do I register?
- Step 1: You must first join the club (or have an existing membership) before you can register for this program. To join the club or renew your membership, you can click HERE.
- If there are any problems using that link, you can also navigate there manually from the home page: dctriclub.org > JOIN (upper right corner of the page)
- Step 2: Once registration opens, there will be a link at the top of this page under the “PROGRAM STATUS” section. Simply click on that link and complete the registration process.
- If there are any problems using that link, you can also navigate manually from the home page: dctriclub.org > SHOP > TRAINING PROGRAMS > 2022 NEW TRIATHLETE PROGRAM > select quantity (default is 1) > ADD TO CART > CHECKOUT
- How much does NTP cost?
NTP costs $175 January 1-15, 2022 and $200 for registrations after January 15, 2022. To register for NTP you must first be a member of the DC Triathlon Club. Race registration fee is not included.
- NOTE: You MUST be a member of the club to register for NTP!
- How can I get more information before registration?
There is an informational meeting prior to the start of the program. NTP Co-leaders and club volunteers will present detailed information on the program followed by an extensive Q&A session. This event is scheduled for January 9, 2022 and will be online on Zoom.
- If I cannot attend the informational meeting, can I still register for NTP?
Yes. The informational meeting is strictly that: informational. We will share the details of the program, allow for extensive Q&A and give you time to digest everything prior to registration. Most of the information we will cover during the informational meeting is on the website and anything important will be covered in newsletters once the program starts.
- NTP registration is sold-out but I still want to participate in the program. What can I do?
Once the 2022 NTP registration is sold out, there is no wait list. The next registration of NTP (2023 NTP class) will be in mid-January 2023. In the meantime you can still join the club and get all of the benefits of membership. Information will be posted in the club newsletter about the specific date that registration will open up so sign up now!
- How can I train for my first triathlon without NTP?
The DC Triathlon Club has many training and educational opportunities to help you prepare for your first race even if you are not participating in NTP. Take a look at our Training Calendar to see some of our excellent training opportunities and post on the forum to get advice from nearly 1,000 members about how to get ready for your first race.
- What is the distance of the NTP goal race? The selected NTP goal race will feature both Sprint and International (Olympic) distance options.
- SPRINT distance:
- 0.5 mile (800m) swim
- 8 mile bike ride
- 3.1 mile (5km) run
- INTERNATIONAL (OLYMPIC) distance:
- 0.93 mile (1500m) swim
- 25 mile (40km) bike ride
- 6.2 mile (10km) run
- Both of these distances are achievable for a first time triathlete. It is up to you to determine which one is the best fit for you.
- SPRINT distance:
- Do I have to race in the selected NTP goal race?
No. However, you will benefit most from the program by doing this race or one that is scheduled for the July timeframe.
- When do I register for the goal race?
If you are planning to participate in NTP, please go ahead and register for the goal race using the DC Tri Club membership discount code. The discount code is listed in the partnership section after you log into the DC Tri Club website. Also please select DC Tri Club in the club section of the race registration.
If you have any additional questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.