November 6, 2022 at 9:05 pm #38630
Here we go! Some nominations to consider!
- Brady Nelson Memorial* Spirit of DC Tri: Justin Sanak. Justin might just embody the Spirit of DCTri. Always out there encouraging on his fellow club members. Even when I’m feeling awful during a race, his adamant desires to give me and all teammates a high five on the run course bring a smile to my suffering face.
- Club Member of the Year: Jules Bilowich. The enthusiasm and cheer that Jules brings to the Club is amazing and wonderful to see. So many Club events this year would not have happened without Jules’ initiative and drive. She always brings a smile and cheerful attitude wherever she is and that filters out to the Club members that she interacts with. Jules is the type of member that this Club thrives and survives on, and we are lucky to have her.
- Most Improved
- Female (Courtney Waltimyer Most Improved): Verna Ng Tyree. She might not have done a triathlon this year, but I swear she was volunteering at every race there was. Always out there. Always cheering. Always giving of herself and giving back to the sport. And always with a smile on her face. Making her comeback from a stroke has been a long process, but she continues to improve every day and I am so happy that she is part of the Club.
- Male: John Sener. He mentioned all of his accomplishments above and they are all awesome. So awesome to have been able to chat with John over dinner back when we first emerged from the pandemic before his first triathlon and then to see him improve so much over the last few years! So awesome!
- Rookie of the Year
- Female: Mijal Altmann. It’s not often you see someone brand new to the club jump in and immediately become an integral leader to club activities. The HP Wednesday night ride. The Saturday B Ride. So awesome to see the enthusiasm and leadership!
- Male: Collin Bradley. I might be biased here as he was my mentee, but it was so awesome to see Collin join the Club, go through NTP, and complete his first triathlon at DITR. His efforts throughout the program and in his personal life were awesome. Super proud of my mentee and all that he has accomplished!
- Veteran Athlete of the Yea
- Female: Natalia Szlarb. Natalia was incredible to watch. Doing a race in each trimester of her pregnancy, volunteering at many club events, and being ever present and ever helpful and supportive of every club member and triathlete that she interacted with. So proud to have her on the Elite Team representing the Club.
- Male: This was a tough one as I want to nominate two, but want to winnow it down to one. It was a tough choice, but Joe Shields is my nomination. It’s been incredible to watch him grow and mature as a triathlete over the last few years. And his support and generosity toward the other members of the Club, and triathlon has been incredible. Very proud to have him on the Elite Team representing the Club.