2020/2021 Board of Directors Nominations

Home Forums News Club Management 2020/2021 Board of Directors Nominations

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The DC Triathlon Club is seeking nine (9) motivated candidates for the 2020 Board of Directors to join the current Board members serving out the remainder of their two-year term. The Club continues to make changes and, hopefully you agree, improve our offerings and initiatives to make this Club better and better. This is your opportunity to make the future of the club even better! We encourage all interested candidates to nominate themselves for Board membership. A club-wide vote will determine the nine members who will join the 14-member Board.

The incoming Board members will join the following members completing their term:

• Elizabeth Glomb
    • Bryan Frank
    • Ethan Lish
    • David Jiang
    • Cindy Hutchings

The guidelines for Club members who would like to run for a Board position:

• You must be a paid member for the 12-month period prior to elections, or receive a unanimous vote from the current Board, to be eligible to run (please don’t let this be a deterrent — contact us!).
    • The term is a two year commitment (2020 and 2021) to the Board.
    • The board meets once per month (2nd Monday of the month) and attendance or calling in is mandatory.
    • The board holds a weekend retreat once a year (2020 retreat will be in February timeframe) and attendance is HIGHLY encouraged.
    • You should expect to commit 2-5 hours per week for Club duties.
    • The club elects people to the Board but not into a specific roll. Returning Board Members are typically given first preferences on keeping their current roll or moving around, so anyone interested in running for the Board should review ALL the directorships and start to formulate an idea of where he/she might want to serve.

If you would like to nominate yourself, please post here and let us know why you are a good candidate (e.g., what you have done for the Club, relevant experience that will help to make you an effective Board member, and what you would like to see happen in 2020). You must post by 11:59 pm on Friday, November 1st if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send any questions to president@dctriclub.org.

Elections will be held via electronic ballot from Monday, November 4th through Monday, November 18th*. The new Board members will be notified on November 22nd* and will be strongly encouraged to attend the Annual Meeting & Kona Viewing Party tentatively in December where the 2020 Board will be announced.

Bryan
    President | DC Triathlon Club

*Note: Dates are subject to change pending the confirmation of the club’s Annual Meeting & Kona Viewing Party date and time.

We are halfway through the self nomination period, so if you are thinking about joining the Board, please post your nomination! If you are on the fence about whether you want to or what might be involved, then please email me president@dctriclub.org with any questions you might have! Or join me at the October Happy Hour on Wednesday 10/16 and I’m happy to talk about it!

Bryan

Sam Cretcher
    Participant

I am nominating myself for a position on the DC Tri Club’s Board of Directors. For those of you that don’t know me, I’ve been member of the Club for two years. In that time I have learned much about the Club, its offerings, and its members by participating in a whole host of programs and events. For instance, I was a participant in the 2018 New Triathlete Program, and during the last year I have coached Wednesday evening swim practices for the Master Swim Program. I’ve also attended a club race (Splash n’ Dash 2019), a training camp weekend (Deep Creek 2019), and a handful of other events, including happy hours and bricknics.

My experience with the Club has been entirely positive, and I’m constantly impressed by the work it does for its members. That being said, I always keep an eye out for improvement. If I were to join the Board, I would identify areas of improvement by reflecting on my experiences, as well as listening to the Board and the general membership about what problems they think exist, and then work with the Board to solve those issues. That may mean changing Club offerings, improving communication, and/or finding ways to make the Club more appealing to prospective and current members. (My millennial self firmly believes that the Club logo and kits need makeovers. Think old MasterCard logo versus new MasterCard logo.)

While I have only been involved in triathlon for two years, I’ll be well-equppied to handle Board responsibilities because of the knowledge and experience I gained while serving as the Administrative Chair of my law school’s flagship law review journal. In that position, I was responsible for overseeing our staff (sixty editors), managing the multi-stage editing timeline for the articles we were to publish (we published more than seventy in the year I served as Admin Chair), and handled other administrative tasks, such as organizing the grading of the “write-on” (the three-part writing and editing skills test given to prospective editors). During my time as Administrative Chair, my biggest achievement was streamlining our editing process, which had the effect of significantly reducing our backlog of articles without sacrificing the quality of our editing. If given the opportunity, I would bring the knowledge and experience I gained from my role as Admin Chair to the DC Tri Club Board.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I get your vote!

ksimp2
    Participant

I’m taking the plunge, throwing myself into consideration for the DC Triathlon Club Board of Directors.  I have been involved in DC Tri Club since 2011 (I think that’s right).  During this time I have volunteered for numerous events including organizing the DC Tri Club water stop at Nation’s Tri for several years.   I have also been involved in TriOut (our LGBTQ+ community group) and have led/co-led the organization since 2014.  In this time, we have grown the group and provided more opportunities for members.

I recently handled off the reins of TriOut to others and am interested in getting involved in the BOD.   I think it’s important to take on leadership roles in organizations like DC Triathlon Club in order to give back.  I appreciate your consideration.

Kyle Simpson

ksimp2
    Participant

I’m taking the plunge, throwing myself into consideration for the DC Triathlon Club Board of Directors.  I have been involved in DC Tri Club since 2011 (I think that’s right).  During this time I have volunteered for numerous events including organizing the DC Tri Club water stop at Nation’s Tri for several years.   I have also been involved in TriOut (our LGBTQ+ community group) and have led/co-led the organization since 2014.  In this time, we have grown the group and provided more opportunities for members.

I recently handed off the reins of TriOut to others and am interested in getting involved in the BOD.   I think it’s important to take on leadership roles in organizations like DC Triathlon Club in order to give back.  I appreciate your consideration.

Kyle Simpson

XanderIV
    Participant

It is hard to believe that I have been on the board for two years already! I first served as Director of Events and followed that as Director of Membership.

I encourage all members, who want to make a positive difference in the Club, to apply. We are all volunteers that care!

Since my time is officially up, I too have to reapply for a board position. I would be more than happy and honored to serve you all for another two years!

Patrick
    Participant

Serving on the board and volunteering for the Club is central to our success, and since joining the Club in 2011 (there’s a theme in this thread!) I’m glad to have had the opportunity to work with the board for several years as Director of Events and now Director of Gear, and offer up my nomination to continue serving the board for a new two-year term.

Hopefully new and existing members have benefited from our focus on improving fulfillment and opportunities to buy gear – and there are more exciting changes in motion on the gear and store front.

As always, reach out if you have questions or comments – gear@dctriclub.org.

Cheers!

Patrick Pannett

Last day for nominations! If you are considering joining us, unsure of what the Board entails, on the fence, worried about anything, please feel to reach out! Please email me: president@dctriclub.org

With only 4 nominations so far, we are in desperate need! I hope to see at least 2 more people offer to step up and help out as more hands make lighter work for the rest of us!

Bryan

Thank you everyone for the self nominations! We’re going to have an interesting year in 2020 with only 9 Board members instead of the normal 15! But it is what it is!

The nomination period is now closed. Voting will begin this coming Monday via BallotBin. All active members will receive an email to the address we have on file to cast their vote. If you have previously opted out of receiving emails from BallotBin, there is nothing we can do to un-“opt out” you as that would defeat the purpose of being able to opt out of something. We will post here once the ballot goes out and how you can contact us if you did not receive one.

The new board members will be announced at the Annual Meeting & Party. You better have Saturday November 23rd saved to join us!  We want to see you there!

Bryan

The ballot to vote for Club Awards and 2020/2021 Board of Directors has gone out! The email comes from OpaVote. Please check your Spam folder as the ballot sometimes ends up in your Spam box. If you did not receive a ballot, then your membership may not be current so please renew your membership and send an email to president@dctriclub.org to let us know to send you ballot.

And remember, get out there and VOTE in your local and regional elections TODAY!! Make your voice heard!

Bryan

kev7
    Participant

Ugh, I’m guilty. However I just renewed my membership for another 3 years. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.