DCTri Rides Skyline – 2017 May 27

Home Forums Training Bike DCTri Rides Skyline – 2017 May 27

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bcfrank

It’s Memorial Day Weekend, so a group of us are heading out to Front Royal, VA on Saturday May 27 to ride Skyline Drive. The plan is to do an out & back along the Drive. That means you can go as short or as long as you want to ride. When you feel like you’re ready to turn around, then you turn around and head back!

The first 7 miles is a challenging climb, but what goes up must come down. So going out will be a lot of climbing, but coming back will be a lot of fun descending. The ride is incredibly scenic with many panoramic vistas of the valleys below on both sides of the ridge. If you’re looking to get stronger on the bike, loops at Hains Point ain’t going to cut it, you gotta work on climbing those hills! Attack your weakness, don’t fear it! 🙂

Because it’s an out & back and there is a lot of climbing on the way out and descending on the way back, I would recommend if you’re doing a time based ride (2 hours… 3 hours… whatever), that you ride for more than half your time before turning back as the return trip will be quicker than the outward trip. If you make it 24 miles along Skyline Drive, you will hit the Elkwallow Way Station which has a store to refuel and rehydrate and bathrooms should you need anything. If you make it the 32 miles over to Thornton Gap, there are water fountains and bathrooms. It’s entirely up to you how far you want to go. My plan is to ride about 80 miles (so 40 miles out and 40 miles back for those who are bad at the maths… 😉 ).

The actual meeting place might change as I know the neighorhood residents have grumbled in the past when we show up in droves and park on their street. But for now, the meeting place is the street NEXT to the Spelunker’s Frozen Custard & Cavern Burgers (116 South St, Front Royal, VA 22630) in Front Royal, VA. Do NOT park in their parking lot. I am aiming for a clip in time of 9:00AM. I’ll update locations if we find a more suitable location to meet. But for now, meet next to Spelunker’s.

Afterward, we’ll drop into Spelunker’s for some awesome cavern burgers and milkshakes and fries and all sorts of other yummy goodness.

Bryan

bcfrank

Anyone is welcome to join on Saturday. Let me know if I should be on the lookout for you out in Front Royal!

Bryan

danl6767
    Participant

Anyone interested in doing skyline this Sat?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.