Fall Race

Home Forums Open Discussions Races Fall Race

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    samie
    Participant

I am trying to decide between 3 Half Ironman races in October. The choices are Tempe, Arizona, Wilmington, NC or Miami, FL. Any feedback on these races would be appreciated.

Thanks

globetrotterjon
    Participant

I did IMNC last Fall.  In general, I really enjoyed the race – the community there is great.  If you can get a small group and rent a house on Wrightsville Beach near the swim start, that’s an early win.  The swim is fast – in the channel with a nice push assist – I did my full IM swim in like 1:05!  My friends doing the half had very fast swims too with a later start.  The bike is very windy – there are some tricky parts crossing the draw bridges at the beginning and end of the ride – the bulk of the ride isn’t particularly picturesque – on highways with live traffic – but aid stations were good and volunteers were very helpful.  The run in Wilmington is very nice – pretty flat, nice crowd support – you go from downtown out to a nice lakeside development about six miles out of town and back in to finish in front of the convention center across from the Battleship.  The community support is excellent, it’s an easy drive from DC, and the local BBQ is pretty awesome for post-race feasting.  Be prepared for a hard bike.  Weather is hard to predict – was blazing hot during the days leading up to the race for us, then temps dropped pretty sharply on race day making for a perfect day.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.