Zwift platform?

Home Forums Open Discussions Gear Advice Zwift platform?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SBsteph
    Participant

Hi all: My home laptop is a few years old, and the graphics card is too out-of-date to run Zwift, so I am unexpectedly shopping for a new laptop. I’m reading the specs on the Zwift website, but wondering if anyone has a recommendation? Also, confirming it only works with Apple, not Android? Thanks!

TriTom
    Participant

Only works with iOS (apple). Word is they may never make an android version because there is such a wide range of android devices, many of which would not be powerful enough to run the program.

SBsteph
    Participant

Good to know. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone since I’m also looking to replace a tablet. Looks like I may have to look more towards a traditional laptop. Thanks!

David Eng
    Participant

Hey, if I’m understanding your question correctly, I don’t think you need an Apple product per se.  You only need that if you plan on running Zwift using a tablet or smartphone, because they only make the app for Apple products.

If you’re running Zwift using a laptop, you can use any laptop/computer, Apple or non-apple, as long as your computer is fast enough and graphics card is good enough.  The minimum specs right now seem pretty minimal.  If you have a laptop 2012 and newer, you should be good.   Ideally, you want to have higher than the minimum specs so you can have better graphics, but the program will still work regardless.

If you don’t have a smart trainer, you do need to buy an ANT+ dongle ($30 Garmin brand, or $17 generic-brand) to connect your Garmin cadence/speed sensor to the Zwift program on your computer.

SBsteph
    Participant

Thanks! Yes, to clarify, none of my other devices are Apple so I hesitate to get one just for this purpose. I’m considering something like the MS Surface so I can replace a Windows laptop (pre- 2012) and an Android tablet with one device. (of course, provided it meets all the specs). Thanks for your feedback!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.