2021/2022 Board of Directors Nominations

Home Forums News Club Management 2021/2022 Board of Directors Nominations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The DC Triathlon Club is seeking up to seven (7) motivated candidates for the 2021 Board of Directors to join the six (6) current Board members serving out the remainder of their two-year term. The 2020 year has been a wild one, there is no doubt about that. We, the Board, tried our best to turn lemons into lemonade this year and we hope you enjoyed some or all of the offerings that we put together this year. Now we are looking for new members to join the Board and help us make pink lemonade. Or strawberry lemonade! Or mango lemonade! Anything other than COVID-19 lemons!  So this is your opportunity to help make 2021 even better than 2020 (hard to be worse!!) and join us on the Club’s Board of Directors! We encourage all interested candidates to nominate themselves for Board membership. A club-wide vote will determine the up to seven (7) members who will join the 13-member Board.

The incoming Board members will join the following members completing their term:

• Patrick Pannett
    • Rob Read
    • Kyle Simpson
    • Mallory Scott
    • Stephan Weyers
    • Justin Rowe

The guidelines for Club members who would like to run for a Board position:

• You must be a paid member for the 12-month period prior to elections, or receive a unanimous vote from the current Board, to be eligible to run (please don’t let this be a deterrent — contact us!).
    • The term is a two year commitment (2021 and 2022) to the Board.
    • The board meets once per month (2nd Monday of the month) and attendance or calling in is mandatory.
    • The board typically holds a weekend retreat once a year in the February timeframe, but 2021 retreat will be discussed with regard to COVID-19 restrictions.
    • You should expect to commit 2-5 hours per week for Club duties.

NOTE (NEW THIS YEAR): If you would nominate yourself for a particular role on the Board instead of the typical “at-large” nomination, then we are looking for excited individuals to fill these vacancies (please keep in mind that some of these roles are affected by how the pandemic and restrictions will play out in 2021):

• Director of Events: in charge of helping to plan monthly club-wide happy hours; the winter/spring and summer member meetings, and the fall annual meeting.
    • Director of Training: in charge of ensuring training ambassadors have the resources necessary to put on the weekly swim/bike/run workouts; helping to plan the two bricknics and the two training/camping weekends.
    • Director of Racing: in charge of organizing the slate of club training event races (swim meets, duathlons, training triathlon, etc.); helping to organize club race support at featured races.
    • Potential positions:
      • These are roles that could, but not guaranteed, be open as current Board members might shuffle around to try new strategies and angles working with the Club or move up into Officer roles within the Club.
      • Director of Communications: in charge of the marketing and communications of the Club including the weekly newsletter and our social media presence.
      • Director of Community Groups: in charge of working with the community leaders to ensure they have all they need to successfully run their groups; working on advocacy and outreach to the larger community.

NOTE: Keep in mind that all of these positions work in tandem with the rest of the Club’s Board of Directors and also work with volunteers to make them happen. So the phrase “in charge of” could be more administrative and planning related as opposed to boots on the ground direct activity.

If you would like to nominate yourself, please post to this forum thread (coming soon) and let us know why you are a good candidate (e.g., what you have done for the Club, relevant experience that will help to make you an effective Board member, and what you would like to see happen in 2019). You must post by 11:59 pm on Saturday, October 31st if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send any questions to president@dctriclub.org.

Elections will be held via electronic ballot from Monday, November 9th through Wednesday, November 25th. The new Board members will be notified on the following weekend. We are looking at options for a virtual Annual Meeting, but, sadly, we do not expect to hold an in-person meeting in 2020.

Bryan

President | DC Triathlon Club

Hutchings
    Participant

Hi, my name is Cindy Hutchings and I am happy to kick off the nomination process. I am currently on the Board as the Director of Programs and would love to continue in that role. I have been a member of the DC Tri Club since 2010 and an active programs volunteer for 8 years. In pre-Covid times, I was a regular on the Saturday morning bike rides and NoVa track along with all the fun Club events. In addition, I have been on the Elite team for the past 6 years.

I would like to continue serving on the Board of Directors because I want to continue giving back to the sport that has given me so much. I enjoy assisting others in their triathlon journey and it makes me so happy to see people achieve their goals.  To me, the sport is more about community along with the physical and mental benefits of training and racing.

As for personal characteristics, I like to laugh and have strong organizational skills.  But I do not like public speaking especially if a stage is involved.

Cindy

RunBikeDavid
    Participant

Hi, I’m David Jiang and I’ve been serving as the Director of Communications and Marketing the past couple of years helping to put together the weekly newsletters, member spotlights, and Instagram posts. I would like to continue serving on the Board of Directors to give back to the club and help make the club all that would like it to be! I would be happy to serve as the Director of Communications or in another capacity. Hoping that we will have better news and events to post in 2021!

Elizabeth Glomb
    Participant

Hello all. My name is Liz Glomb and I would like to submit my name for a nomination to the 2021/2022 Board of Directors. I am currently serving on the board as the Secretary/VP of Membership and have been on the board for a number of years, previously in the role of the Director of Communications and Marketing. I would really like to continue on the board for the next two years and continue giving back to the club. 2020 was not the year we wanted anything to be but I feel like we can make 2021 and 2022 even more amazing and I would like to be a part of that. Please consider voting for me to continue to serve you on the board of the directors. Thanks.

klefler
    Participant

Hi! My name is Kelly Lefler. I’d like to nominate myself to serve on the Board of Directors as the Director of Training. I’ve been a member of the club for six years and an NTP co-lead for four-ish (if you squint and round up a little for 2020). I’ve also been a member of the Elite Team for four years. A huge part of being a co-lead is planning and supporting training events for our new athletes, and I’d love the opportunity to apply those skills to serve the full Club. Over the last six years, I’ve loved participating in the Club’s weekly group workouts and attending the bricnics and training camp weekends. Like you, I’ve missed my triathlon community in 2020 and explored a lot of options for virtual group training as we’ve navigated this dumpster fire of a year. As Director of Training, I would be committed to working with the other Board members and training ambassadors to ensure we can safely host these workouts and events in 2021 and 2022 and/or adapt to provide opportunities for Club members to connect over our shared love of swim/bike/run.

Thank you everyone for the self nominations!

The nomination period is now closed. Voting will begin Monday November 9th. All active members will receive an email to the address we have on file to cast their vote. If you have previously opted out of receiving emails from our voting tool, there is nothing we can do to un-“opt out” you as that would defeat the purpose of being able to opt out of something. We will post here once the ballot goes out and how you can contact us if you did not receive one.

The new board members will be announced in December.

Bryan

The ballot to vote for the 2021/2022 Board of Directors has gone out! The email comes from OpaVote. So please check your Spam folder as the ballot sometimes ends up in your Spam box. If you did not receive a ballot, then your membership may not be current so please renew your membership and send an email to president@dctriclub.org to let us know to send you ballot. The ballot is open through 11:59 PM on Wednesday November 25th. The new Board members and winners of the Club Awards will be announced at the Annual Virtual Meeting on Wednesday December 16th! Details about the virtual annual meeting are forthcoming soon, but we are hoping to have a guest speaker, raffle prizes, fun virtual games. Please plan to join us!

Bryan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.