Weekly Saturday bike ride

Home Forums Training Bike Weekly Saturday bike ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    ptorresb
    Participant

Note: Always check the most recent forum posts for specific weekly ride information.

When: Saturday mornings, clip in and depart from Capitol Hill at 7:10am (summer hours) / 8:10am (winter hours), rolling pick up in Georgetown at 7:30am (summer hours) / 8:30am (winter hours).

Where: Ride departs from 8th and Penn SE at 7:10am/8:10am and rolls through Georgetown for a pick-up at Wisconsin and M NW at 7:30am/8:30am. We roll through quickly so be ready to jump on at 7:30am/8:30am sharp.

Pace: All paces welcomed. However , this is *not* a no-drop ride. Use this thread to post your preferred pace and distance to confirm that there will be other riders going at your pace.

Distance: Anywhere from ~30-40 miles roundtrip to the gas station at the intersection of Falls Rd and River Rd, to 100+ miles. Post your ride goals to this thread to see what people are planning.

Routes: These are the typical routes we follow with occasional variations to mix it up. Variations are generally decided on the ride. All rides include a rolling pick up in Georgetown at Wisconsin and M NW.

Cap. Hill to Great Falls (40 mi RT) »
    Cap. Hill to the “T” at Seneca (58 mi RT) »
    Cap. Hill to Poolesville (74 mi RT) »
    Cap. Hill to Sugarloaf (98 mi RT) »

Group Ride: Some paceline work, some hills, some re-group breaks.

Required: Helmet, flat repair kit and a basic knowledge of the ride route in the event of separation.

General Rules: No riding in aerobars in the pack unless you are pulling in front or slightly off the back. Call out pot holes, obstructions, cars, everything. No matter how obvious you think it is. Don’t roll through a stop light and lead the group into a dangerous scenario – Slow up, regroup, and don’t encourage people to blindly follow you into oncoming traffic. If you’re new to the ride, don’t be intimidated to ask questions. We may not always appear very chipper early on a Saturday morning but we all want a safe, fun ride and are happy to answer questions. For a comprehensive list of ride rules, check out our Rules of Cycling Etiquette.

Weather Policy: Check latest post for determining factors. Check weather.com “hourly forecast” for 8am Sat in zip 20003 (use the “feels like” temp).

IF you drop the ride on purpose PLEASE tell someone (preferably the ride leaders) so we don’t go looking for you. Not only is it nice but it is REQUIRED. It is a group ride and we do our best to monitor how many riders we have – we don’t leave people behind and we hold up at top of climbs to re-group.

mjp202
    Participant

Anyone planning to ride this Saturday?

Adam Stolzberg
    Participant

Thought about it but going to hit the trainer at some point instead.  Maybe next week.

Cheers

gat_pfc
    Participant

Anyone for meeting this Saturday morning 1/28 in G-town to get a break from their ugly nasty virtual reality trainer?

Given winter rules apply we could meet at the Bank at 9:30 am and ride to the BP and beyond if the weather goes nice on us.  Adam?    Megan?    et al?

glen

mjp202
    Participant

I’d be in. Winter time is usually 8:30, but 9:30 is also fine.

gat_pfc
    Participant

i know but since its likely going to just be me u and maybe one or two others –why so by the rules. Also ‘winter rules’ in golf really mean I can make it up  as I go–cheat cause no one is around.

See you at 9:30 am  at Das Bank.

glen

MBtri15
    Participant

I’d like to ride this week and 930am works well…gives a chance to warm up a little.

mjp202
    Participant

I may not be able to make it, so feel free to roll out without me if I’m not there by 9:30.

Adam Stolzberg
    Participant

Have a good ride Pat and company. I’ll skiing Snowshoe this weekend so I’m out.

Cheers

Megan McCluer
    Participant

Beautiful day expected tomorrow. Juan and I (B pace) will be at Mst and Wisconsin in Georgetown at 9:00.am.

gat_pfc
    Participant

Wish I could bike today but heading to wva instead. Will ride bike to Potomac n beyond on Monday.  Lemme know if you n Juan are in terested. Enjoy the ride

glen

David Eng
    Participant

Anyone want to ride at 8am to the BP this Saturday?

gat_pfc
    Participant

I’m up for meeting in g-town at 8 am and riding to at least the BP maybe even beyond.  Megan? Nic? Carol?

glen

Adam Stolzberg
    Participant

Have a good ride!  Running and then heading to Rose PT.

Cheers

David Eng
    Participant

Glen: See you 8am!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 334 total)
You need to be a paid member in order to access this topic: Join, or Login if you’re a member.